Just look oh no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I just flipped my light over and its not a double its a single will I still be able to grow low light for right now until I can upgrade
The bulb is a 28 watt 10kk with a reflective background..... please tell me I'm good

hmmm, that is not a lot of light. I think you might get away with some of the extremely low light plants, but not much more. Even for a low light tank, I would want about double that amount of light.

Depends, what plants do you have?

Light is the most important aspect of a planted tank... without the proper light there is not much you can do.

The moss, the java fern, and the crypt might survive under the light... they won't grow much.

The riccia (crystalwort) probably won't live unless you let it float so it is right under the light.

It will be ok like that probably. The problem with that is though it will block light to your other plants. If you decide you like having a planted tank, an upgrade of the lighting in the near future would be a good idea.

Yeah I'm going to get one on ebay its a t5-ho 4x54 watt for $108 with free shipping

Wow, that will be quite the upgrade.

At that level, you are going to have to start thinking about fertilizer and CO2 injection.

For a 55gal tank, you are going to have to go with a pressurized CO2 system. It involves a regulator and a co2 tank, and some method of diffusing the co2 into the aquarium. A good regulator will cost about $90 + the cost of the CO2 tank.

Here is a photo of 1 of my CO2 systems:
19738-albums313-picture2166.jpg

Depends on a lot of factors... namely size. It also depends where you buy it, whether it is new or used, a loaner or you own it, etc. You can generally find a new 5lb for somewhere around $50-70 I think.

With that much light, it will be necessary... without it you will have a nice crop of algae... and not so healthy plants.

Back
Top Bottom