Just planted - not looking too well...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just setup a new low-light tank 3 days ago and the plants aren't looking too well. I've posted some pics. I tried to plant them based on instructions I've read but it was harder than it sounds. Does this look right? Is there anything I should do?

29 gallon
Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30"
Magnum 350
Flourite on bottom, gravel on top
Seachem Flourish added after 2 days

Anubias barteri v. Nana
Cryptocoryne crispatula v. Balansae Green
Retrospiralis Cryptocoryne
Cryptocoryne Wendtii-Red
Dwarf Sagittaria
Water Sprite

img_469211_0_74ea820077d2bd93d7b511af29f4afa7.jpg

img_469211_1_4b91442d0d12c2c7fe26633d5495757c.jpg

img_469211_2_69e9903d91718e2929910dac590eacca.jpg

It sounds like you're doing everything right. What are your water parameters: NO3, PO4, pH, KH? You might try adding some root tabs for the Crypts. Crypts tend to be more sensitive when moved to a new tank and have a tendency to melt if things are not to their liking. They will usually spring back though, once they have acclimatized themselves to the new tank. Hang in there, I think your plants will snap out of it in time :)

Thing to remember about low light plants is that growth is really slow motion for most of them. Travis is right in that they tend to melt a bit when first put into the tank, and being low light it takes them a while to come back. I have some Crypt myself that's been in my tank for almost 2 weeks and is just now starting some new growth.

Tank looks good! Give it some time and it will fill in quite well it looks like ~ "growth is really slow motion for most of them" is the truth. watch for the dwarf sag to send out runners, and that should be the first sign of good growth conditions. Mine sent runners under about 1.5 WPG in a 20gallon tank.

Day 11

Well, it's day 11 since I set up the tank and I can't say the plants look much better. I've added Flourish twice since it's been setup (although I don't know if or how often I should) and I added 3 root tabs a few days ago. Most plants have stringy things coming up by the base of the plant -- it looks like tiny grass or roots. Is this normal? Also, I just checked the water parameters. Is this good or bad for a planted tank? Thanks!

0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
10 Nitrate
8.2 pH
17 dKH
28 dGH

Back
Top Bottom