Just setup tank with just plants, what could cause this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungry Seacow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just setup this tank a few days ago and was gone for the weekend. I couldn't find my old timer so I left the tank light on. I am wondering if that, or the fact that there are no fish, or some other reason is the cause of some of the plants browning. Interestingly, the plant on the far right has gotten a decent amount larger over the weekend! Tomorrow I am going to buy a new filter/hood/timer and a few fish to start the water cycle.

Attachments

• dsc01117.jpg
    dsc01117.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 91
  • dsc01119.jpg
    dsc01119.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 94
the second picture i forget the name of the plant....but usually the older part of the plant starts to rot while there are tiny buds growing at the top or off the sides to regenerate the plant...thats pretty normal, a good idea with live plants to have a timer and new hood and stuff...and since you are using fish for the cycle...i recommend zebra danios(they are extremely hardy and are great together, get about 3-4 to keep them semi happy) make sure to keep up on the levels....good luck! :D

and i thiknk the reason for it rotting is you shouldnt plant them in a cluster like that. plant them seperately. the bottom leaves cant get light so they wither and die

I agree with Krap that you need to separate the stems, and remove the metal band around the base of them if you did not already. Many plants go into a slight decline right after being planted, so I would not be alarmed just yet, but no doubt they will improve once the fish are there to supply some nutrients, assuming you have adequate lighting.

Back
Top Bottom