Just started injecting Co2, Chemistry Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrism

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there,

I've just started injecting Co2 into my 40G tank... I've got a few things that i need advice on... I'll list my tank spec

2 x 55w Triplus PC ~3wpg
Co2 - Just started running it slowly about 1 bubble a second
Ph ~7
Kh ~7
GH - can't remember at the mo!

I'm expecting a delivery of plants any day now, I already have 3 x Ozelot swords, 1 x Orchid lily & some Hygrophila polysperma .. Rosanervig (tropic sunset) in at the mo, the hygro will be coming out replaced with Limnophilla aromatica along with the addition of dwarf hairgrass.

Now i already use flourish, and due to having problems keeping my nitrates up I dose KNO3 occasionally...

What i'd like to know is: up until now Co2 has probably been the largest limiting factor, now that i have that sorted, I'm assuming i'll need to start a proper ferts program... What do you guys recommend? the KNO3 i had is the powder type so i'm happy to go with dry ferts if they're the best method. What other stuff should i stock up on?

If you've spotted something that i'm doing wrong, please point it out!

Cheers,

If you go Greg Watsons, then the Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, and CSM+B for the traces.

Are you DIY or pressurized? What is your diffusion method (ie how are you getting the CO2 into the water). CO2 can still easily be your limiting factor even though by normal convention your CO2 levels are about 20ppm. I'd try to get that up closer to 30 if possible (very easy with pressurized, a little more involved if DIY). You will definately increase your fert usage having more CO2 present, but its possible it is still the limiting factor.

Hi, i'm pressurised. At the moment i'm using a spiral ladder passive diffuser, mainly because that's what came with the set i bought. it's about ten inches long. I was going to build a inline reactor but i thought i'd see how this went first. I use the fluval 304 with those corrigated tubes, so i'm not sure how easy it would be to install a inline one without changing the tubes to the more rubbery type the xp series use along then the output nozzle thingymaboby cos i wouldn't be able to bend it around over the top of the tank... (although this could be a good opportunity to fit a spray bar if they're better?)

thanks for the shopping list lonewolfblue...

chrism said:
Hi, i'm pressurised. At the moment i'm using a spiral ladder passive diffuser, mainly because that's what came with the set i bought. it's about ten inches long. I was going to build a inline reactor but i thought i'd see how this went first. I use the fluval 304 with those corrigated tubes, so i'm not sure how easy it would be to install a inline one without changing the tubes to the more rubbery type the xp series use along then the output nozzle thingymaboby cos i wouldn't be able to bend it around over the top of the tank... (although this could be a good opportunity to fit a spray bar if they're better?)

thanks for the shopping list lonewolfblue...

I'd think about trying active diffusion if you don't want to simply turn the flow up. You can buy an inexpensive (under $20) PH and plumb the CO2 line right to that. Monitor your levels without changing your CO2 flow. If the levels are a good bit higher, think about using a better diffuser. If the levels are similar to what you have, clean the PH and return it, and turn up your flow on the tank.

7Enigma, I've actually just been reading your post about using a PH as a reactor... Interesting stuff! Esp about the rate at which Co2 dissolves...

I must admit I don't fancy having all the little bubbles floating about my tank. At the top of this spiral ladder thing there is a small outlet to let out the excess bubbles, I've not noticed too many bubbles bubbling out the top but could I increase the effectiveness by adding some tubing from the little vent at the top into the intake of my canister filter? Would this have the same effect?

Back
Top Bottom