Just thought I would post on my cardnials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well is has been awhile since I last posted so I thought I would share .
About 5 months ago I reset up my 20 gal long , with eco complete , Finux planted plus , 2 fluval C-3 filters .
Cycled the tank with one platy and one sword tail all went smooth .
Got some plants couple of swords ( small) and a anubias , a Blue german ram, gold blistle nose pleco , and 4 cardinal tetra .
After some time I noticed that the cardnials just did not school , they kinda just hung out in the corner :ermm: .
So I had a idea , that maybe the big old sword and platy were making them skittish or maybe I just did not have enough fish for a school . So I bagged up the platy and sword and off to petsmart I went . I tried to just give them away and can you believe that they refused . :confused:
So I drove to Petco and they were happy to get the fish , they commented how healthy they were . Unreal because I have done this before with no problem .
I did find some real nice cardinals and bough 6 , so now I have 10 total and now they are happy , swimming around all of the tank ! :cool:
You can bet petsmart will not be seeing me again and I emailed them about it ... lets see if they reply .
I am considering a second blue german ram but 2 things concern me , would they fight , and what about space ?
Also maybe couple of fancy guppies ? ( good tank mates ? )

If you know the sex of your first German Blue Ram, you can try and pick up another one and make it a male female pair. They shouldn't fight, but if on the off chance they don't get along they should just keep to themselves on opposite sides of the tank. Guppies could work with what you've already got, but I feel like you're getting close to full stocking for a 20 gallon long.

Also, in my experience big box stores do not take trade-ins. A lot of the LFS in my area won't even take trade-ins that often. A lot of times it's just best to have a detailed stocking plan to begin with and not have to rely on someone to take an unwanted fish off your hands.

Back
Top Bottom