Just to make sure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F.Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody, I posted something similar like this a few months ago. But I just want to make sure.

I have been dosing EI for the last few months. As a filter in my 5g scape I use a superfish 50. I have been using a very old cartridge with sponge. The problem is that the sponge is really starting to fall apart. I still have some reserve cartridges, but they have active carbon in them.
Will the active carbon remove the chemicals of my EI dosing? (I'm guessing so).
I can just take the carbon out of the new sponge and place it in the filter like that. But I just want to hear your opinions first!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I believe the use of activated carbon and its effectiveness in removing any components to fertilizer is debatable and, to my knowledge, hasn't been any clear evidence to the contrary. But, most of us forgo its use for something like purigen or extra bio filtration (ie. Biomax) in lieu of it. I'm unfamiliar with that particular filter, but I'd recommend (when you can) to ditch a 'cartridge' style filter for something more customizable like an AquaClear or Fluval C-Series HOB.

So for activated carbon, I think it doesn't harm your ferts if it's there.

Hey Mebbid and Brian! Thx for the quick replies.
I was just kind off confused, since the lady at the fishstore (and she really knows her stuff) told me it would remove anti-disease treatments. So that's why I thought it would maybe to the same with my EI dosing!
As for the filter. It's a superfish, and it has actually done me good service for 2 years now. Never had to replace it. I'm a really big fan of HOB's (haha I would even put plants in it). But as a student I'm quite poor. This filter cost me €10 and for another €10 I got 3 extra cartridges, which i kept reusing every week over the last year haha! I'm a cheapo :D

With EI, there should be an over-abundance anyway, so I would think that even if the carbon does absorb a small amount it wouldn't make much of a difference. That said, why use carbon if you don't need to? It only lasts a couple weeks at most anyway, so it's kind of pointless in my opinion.

Yes, you could empty out the carbon and use the cartridge without carbon. I've done this before. Instead of buying new cartridges in the future, just buy some cut-to-fit filter pads instead. I'm not familiar with your filter, but if the cartridge has a plastic frame, you can save just the plastic part and use it to support the filter pad. If there's no plastic frame and you need something to support the filter pad, you can cut a piece of plastic canvas (sold at craft stores) and slide it into the filter where the cartridge would normally go.

I found them laying around lol! I was looking in my gardenshack for my old 10g and they were still in the package :D

But good point there :)

Back
Top Bottom