Keegster803's 20gallon tall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys here is a pic of my planted low tech tank
Livestock-4 peppered cories, 6 misc endler's, 3 male guppies, 4 otos and a couple RCS
Flora- a ball of Java moss, combamba, Java ferns, and a couple amazon swords
Can you guys give me some good feedback and advice?
Much thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys here is a pic of my planted low tech tank
Livestock-4 peppered cories, 6 misc endler's, 3 male guppies, 4 otos and a couple RCS
Flora- a ball of Java moss, combamba, Java ferns, and a couple amazon swords
Can you guys give me some good feedback and advice?
Much thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420432567.768172.jpg

I am using root tabs for the cobamba and amazon swords. How can I make the swords grow taller?

Don't watch them. Under high light plants tend to stay shorter. Lower light they often reach up.

The Swords will grow until you wish they'd stop LOL

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, I have had them for about 5 months now, and they grew as trimmings, and now they have stopped growing for the last 3 months, I just want them to grow really big, like they do in the nice planted tanks

How often are you replacing Root Tabs ? It might be time to add another. Add a Carbon source like Glut, Excel or CO2 for faster growth.

How deep is your substrate ? Am Swords grow major roots. Gravel sucks at holding nutrients near roots. You could always add some sand for more depth. The sand will migrate under the gravel.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I use just gravel and it's an inch to inch 1/2. I replace the tabs every 2-3months. And I don't use the extra source of carbon, because I heard it kills inverts, is this true??

I use just gravel and it's an inch to inch 1/2. I replace the tabs every 2-3months. And I don't use the extra source of carbon, because I heard it kills inverts, is this true??

I have the opposite problem mine grew out of control and i needed to remove them. I have co2 and light to med lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

An inch is pretty shallow.
Carbon does not kill inverts unless it's overdosed. I start slow with Shrimp and then increase to normal doses. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420507756.587836.jpg

I just bought a bottle of liquid ferts, will this help with my java ferns and moss? (My java moss sorta melted at the base, then the rest just spread out all over the tank)

API LeafZone was my first Fert. It does help. But it only proves a couple things.

If you also buy Flourish comprehensive it will supply the micros that the LeafZone does not have.

I used two of those together and Root tabs , and then if you can, get Flourish Excel for a Carbon source. That will help speed the plant growth also.

Each of the liquid products provides a different thing so it is not overdoing it.

Hey, I have this weird dark, neon green algae on my rock, looks like green lava and it has rocks stuck on it, and when I grab it, the rocks are stuck to it

I bought some flourish comprehensive, and excel today, what happens if I overdose on excel?

I also bought a couple stems of moneywort. Do you use root tabs for them?

Hey guys, I bought some double bright Marineland LEDs, and some stems of cabomba, I am currently dosing with Excel, Flourish, API Leaf Zone, and Seachem Root Tabs. I was wondering how I could get my amazon swords to grow. I just bought the lights about a week ago, and u have had the amazons for about 7 months with no new growth, any advice on how I can get them to grow taller?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427718442.431245.jpg

Back
Top Bottom