Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keeping Live Plants

I just bought two live plants. They were beautiful and green about three hours ago when I bought them, but now they're not looking as good. I need all the advice I can get on how to keep live plants and what the requirements in the water need to be. I've never kept live plants before and the lady at the store made it sound like there was nothing to it.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aww, plants are not so tough. Low light plants will do well in most tanks even if they are low tech. Did you do anything to treat the plants before adding them in your tank? Did you let them dry out, or keep them submerged in water the whole time before adding? Do you use any anti-algae chemicals in your tank?

Also, what temp. is your tank maintained at? Some plants prefer cooler waters, and they require acclimating to higher temperatures.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

where are the plants now? and what are the water parameters? and what plants are they?

I don't know much about plants, but if you need help, we need more information about whats happening to give you informed advice.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
It's possible they were grown emersed (out of water) and are converting to their submersed (water) forms. What kind of plants are they?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

They're both narrow leaf hygro. My cycle is set, my temp is 77, and my ph is 6.3-6.4. That's all I can tell you. I don't have anything to test phosphates, calcium, or nitrogen. They're still getting worse. I might have to take them back and stick to fake plants unless I can get some good advice.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
If they're getting enough light, then I can't really help you ><

Anyways, nitrogen is just another name for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and other things that have nitrogen in them.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Insufficient light is usually the cause of plants dying. What kind of light are you running?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

BigJim is on the right track. What type of lights do you have? Could you post the wording that is on the bulb(s), it usually tells you how many watts. It is either lack of light or lack of nutrients.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I honestly doubt that after only 3 hours of having them, its due to light or nutrients (well, at least not the lack of... maybe too much?). I'd say its more of an acclimation issue.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Good point rookie, I must have skimmed over the OP. I'd say acclimation, handling or just plain bad plants to begin with are the culprits then.

Tags
live, live plants, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com