KH and Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhs9831

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cant for the life of me, get my KH level to raise. Maybe Im dumb, but I have added a co2 system to my aquarium and I am using a CO2 calculator on another website to try and figure out the level of c02, but when I test my water for KH I am consistently getting 0 degrees, thus making the calculator say there is absolutely no co2 in my water. My PH is 6.4 and KH is 0 so does this mean I have no CO2 in my aquarium???? Someone help!

Thanks

Dave

Wow, I would check it out immediately. You need to get the water's KH to around 3 degrees to keep the pH stable. Otherwise the tank will be subject to wild pH fluctuations and crashes. Deadly to the fish and plants. Try to borrow or buy another test or bring in some water to the local fish store. If your KH is still zero you can bring it up with some calcium carbonate or baking soda, sea shells, oyster shells, crushed coral which will raise the pH and GH as well. Most of us with soft water who inject CO2 also put some kind of sea shells inside a bag in the filter to keep the pH and KH stable. Its amazing how fast the shells essentially dissolve in a filter.

Try using maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of crushed coral or oyster shells for a 26 to 55 gallon. Experiment and find what works out. You might try to pm the good Mr. Burns of our forum. He lives in Ohio, I believe. Good luck. Bob

Great... thank you for your advice, I will do as you say... how long do you think I will have to wait to get desired results?

Depends on your filtration and water flow. Is your CO2 pressurized or a DIY Hagen style? Some folks use an airstone at night to keep the CO2 from bringing down the pH with a Hagen unit. But I don't think a Hagen or DIY affects the KH that much to begin with. Are you using a Can filter, or a hang on back? You should see the KH start to creep up soon, in a day to three days. Just add alot more oyster shells or crushed coral to speed it up if you want, and moniter and back it off a bit quickly, once you start to get it there. And you will want to get you KH/pH up in the change water as well, possibly with some baking soda, but be sure to test and not shock the fish. HTH. Bob

Bearfan, I know your query was directed to Dave, but I thought I might share that my "well" water is in the high 5s out of the tap with near zero GH to boot. No O2 is my guess. But it will rise in a day or so with a rio powerhead in a 5 gallon bucket to pH 6.4 to 6.6.

use some baking soda it will raise you KH its what i use to keep my KH stable. I use like a teaspoon to like 35 gals of water should raise your KH by 2 to 3 KH. but do it slowley. The baking soda will also raise your PH but you have a CO2 system so it should be ok as long as you take you time adding baking soda to the water.so say like over a 12 hour peroid you should have your KH around 3 to 4 and check it everyother day. and if it gets low add some baking soda. and also do like a 10% water change once a week. hope this helps ya out.

:)

Hey all.. thanks for all of your advice. I did add oyster shells and baking soda and my KH has raised but only to 1.5, I guess thats better than 0 :lol: As far as what filter I am using, I have 1 aquaclear hang on and 1 whisper hang on on the aquarium. I removed the filter cartridge from the Whisper and put shells and limestone in it. Everything seems to be effective, slowly, but thats okay.. dont want to shock my critters. And yes Bearfan, my tap water.. it is that soft, :roll: I think its crazy too.

dhs - take it nice and slow. You're wise to avoid any sudden change in chemistry, because some fish are much more sensitive than others.

I'd start making your water change water a day in advance, and use baking soda to get to about 5 degrees KH. Then over the next several water changes (assuming 25% a week) you'll gradually raise the Kh to a good level.

Malkore, (and all others)

Thank you for the advice. I checked just a bit ago and its up to 2.5 now, but the PH has raised to 7.0.. is this good? (the ph level I mean) I will definately take your advice about preparing the water for change in advance, its a good idea, never thought of it. I have just been adding the soda in the tank.... I now see earlier in a reply from someone else they reccommended I add it to the change water before adding it to the tank, but I missed that until today for some reason. By the way, this is all for a 30 gallon FW tank, what exactly is the Target PH and KH as well as CO2 levels?

Thanks

Dave

pH and kH go hand in hand. If you raise the kH then the pH is going to go up. See my FAQ for some basic info on water chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom