KH and GH rising on its own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qoob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

From tap pH is 7.5, KH 1.5-2 and GH is 2.5-3.
Tank pH sways between 6.4-6.8 depending if CO2 is on or not.
Substrate is ADA aquasoil + I have driftwood.

The odd part is that for some reason KH and GH in the tank have risen up. KH is 3 and GH 6.

Temperature is at 24.5 celsius.
CO2 injected in the tank for the same time as lights are on (with 1,5h offset). CO2 was a bit high a week ago (lime-green/yellow'ish drop checker) but tuned it down (green drop checker).

I dose according to the estimative index daily, using an auto dosing pump. It pumps a total of 10ml of Aqua Rebell Makro Basic EI in 3 smaller doses along the day. https://www.aquasabi.com/Aqua-Rebell-Makro-Basic-Estimative-Index
I also dose traces, for which I use Aqua Rebell Mikro Basic Eisen and dose a total of 2ml per day in two doses of 1ml. https://www.aquasabi.com/Aqua-Rebell-Mikro-Basic-Eisen-500-ml

Together these add the following nutrients in the following amounts (daily):
3.07 mg/liter NO3
0.57 mg/liter PO4
2.34 mg/liter K
0.15 mg/liter Mg
0.017 mg/liter Fe
0.008 mg/liter Mn
0.001 mg/liter Cu
0.00067 mg/liter Bo
0.0003 mg/liter Zn
0.00067 mg/liter Mo

Any idea what might cause this? From what I've read I should be detecting KH going down, not up. And I don't know why GH would be going up. I do 30-50% water changes weekly, and just did one yesterday.

goob...

Your water changes should be at least half the water removed and replaced weekly. Be more consistent with the water changes. Change half weekly and you won't need to worry about the chemistry of the tank water. I change half the water in all my tanks weekly and don't worry about testing or any of the chemistry stuff. I know if I'm consistent with the changes the water will always be safe for my fish.

B

goob...

Your water changes should be at least half the water removed and replaced weekly. Be more consistent with the water changes. Change half weekly and you won't need to worry about the chemistry of the tank water. I change half the water in all my tanks weekly and don't worry about testing or any of the chemistry stuff. I know if I'm consistent with the changes the water will always be safe for my fish.

B

At least? Haven't seen anyone recommending over 50% water changes. I havent been doing 50% weekly since I added some sensitive livestock and did not want to stress them out for the first weeks (hence doing only 30% after the first week for example). Slowly doing bigger and bigger water changes.

I have sensitive shrimp which is why I am a bit worried about the changes in GH/KH. A couple have died and I'm trying to figure out what might cause it. Also this is my very first tank so I can't really be certain everything will just magically be OK. I'd rather know if there are some issues and either resolve them or rehome the livestock that isn't suitable.

goob.... EI and caridina shrimp are likely not a sustainable match together.

gH is rising because you aren't doing large enough water changes, and kH should be 0 in your aquasoil tank.

goob.... EI and caridina shrimp are likely not a sustainable match together.

gH is rising because you aren't doing large enough water changes, and kH should be 0 in your aquasoil tank.

So EI causes GH to rise? And people keep telling me KH should go to 0 in an aquasoil tank but I used fresh AS and in 66 days the lowest my KH has been is the same that comes out of the tap, so 1.5-2.

And is the reason for a bad match the rising GH? Or something else?

Back
Top Bottom