KH Drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been trying to find info on whats been happening to my tank, but haven't really found any definitive answers.
I have CO2 running for about a week now, and I tested my water today and my KH is 0. My PH is 6.8 and has stayed at that level since I started CO2. The last time I checked my KH was maybe 3-4 days ago and it was 40ppm. Out of my tap my PH is normally 8.0, KH 40, GH 150. Right now my reading are:
PH: 6.8
KH: 0
GH: 300
Nitrites:0
Nitrates: 20
So should I add something to buffer the KH up? How do I figure out what my CO2 level is if my KH is zip and I have to artificiallly raise it?

Your KH is very low for any sort of reliable pH readings. You can use plain old baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to buffer you KH (and along with it pH) up. I'm not sure what size tank you have but in my 125G I use a mixture of (1000 ml water, 4 tablespoons baking soda) to buffer the water. In a 125G, 100 ml of this mixture will reliably buffer my KH by 20 ppm. So in a 12.5G 10 ml of this solution would do the same. Adjust accordingly, but err on the side of caution as your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.

Sodium bicarb should not throw off the standard CO2 reference charts. Just cross index KH with pH as usual. A higher KH will buffer your water so that the addition/degassing of CO2 does not cause spiky pH readings.

this is WAYYYYY off topic

funny name dr_girlfriend

LOL Venture Bros.

Kh is a measurement of the disolved calcium and minerals , GH also includes the solids in the water. Your plants use the KH components for growth, so it is accelerated by co2. One teaspoon of baking soda raises my KH 5 points in my 50 gal. I just put the soda in the back of my hob on a weekly basis or when my ph meter shows a rise. :D Planted tanks are challenging but worth it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom