Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thumbs down killing algae with bleach

What would bee a good ratio water to bleach to kill algae on large rocks and filter parts driftwood and even maybe gravel?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

You need to be extremely cautious when using bleach for items in your tank. Even the slightest amount of residue left behind can kill an entire tank.

If you're going to do it, use a 20:1 ratio of water to bleach, and rinse rinse rinse. And when you think you got it all, rinse some more.

Elbow grease is the best method IMO. White vinegar, also at a 20:1, will work as well and is much more safe than using bleach.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

my last step if i use bleach is a extra amount of prime since it breaks the bleach down.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
my last step if i use bleach is a extra amount of prime since it breaks the bleach down.
agreed, when it get that bad for me I pull all the ornaments out and bleach them heavy.. overnight.. then i rinse, rinse rinse , soak in a heavy Prime bath and rinse rinse rinse and another Prime bath.. then back in..

never had any problems. In fact it's due for one now....
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Agree with bleach/rinse/Prime routine. Worked for me many times. If it will make you feel safer, you can let the items air out for a day or 2 after the treatment, as chlorine should out gas after 24 hrs.

If you are paranoid, you can use Oxygen bleach (ie hydrogen peroxide - more $$$). I have use 1/2 strength (of the normal 3% so the final conc. is 1.5%) with good results. H2O2 will break down in light, so all you have to do is rinse (& expose to light for maybe 1/2 hr during the rinsing) & it is safe for your tank.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

good to know jsoong thats new to me. didnt know that about hydrogen peroxide.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i've dipped anubias nana petite in the full strength 3% solution, gave it a quick rinse and imediately planted in my tank. water is h20 and hydrogen peroxide is h2o2. what's an extra oxygen molecule gonna do?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
what's an extra oxygen molecule gonna do?
That extra oxygen is what kills the algae!!!

At a certain level, H2O2 will kill fish/plants. There are pages on the web as to what is a safe level (~1-2 ml per gal), but I usu. go for being safe & rinse off the excess.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I just did a bleach dip to some vals, I dipped for minute in a 1:25 solution. I rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and then soaked in water with dechlorinator for a while.

Got rid of the algae and snails! I hate snails!!!

Does hydrogen peroxide kill snails, just wondering... ?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Originally Posted by weelz6699 View Post
What would bee a good ratio water to bleach to kill algae on large rocks and filter parts driftwood and even maybe gravel?
1:20 dilute bleach solution is were you need to be. Just rinse it a couple of times in regular water after the treatment and then in water that is treated with prime and then return it to the tank.

Ensure you use your bleach detector (nose) before you put it back in the tank.

Also, letting it air dry will add an extra measure to ensure you are not adding anything into your tank.

Tags
algae, bleach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com