killing snails on new plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to know what the treatment, if there is one, is to kill snails/snail eggs on new plants before i put them into my tank. I think ive heard of a quick dip in salt then rinseing but im not sure. Please help TIA!

Soak the plants in a bleech-water solution
i dont know for how long or if it works on all plants... all i know is one part bleech to 20 parts water..
Im not quite certain, so dont take my advice just yet.

A solution of 1 part bleach to 20 parts water will kill algae spores and snails/snail eggs.
Dip the plants for up to 2 minutes in the solution, then rinse in a bucket of triple dechlorinated water.
The more delicate the plant, the less time you should dip. Ambulia and cabomba are delicate...don't dip them more than 20 seconds.

Expect your plants to look kinda beat up for the 2 weeks after the dip. They'll take some damage, but will come back as lush and bushy as before (if your tank provides an ideal living environment)

I just tried the bleach dip to kill brush algae in several plants. It lilled the algae, but I don't know if the plants are going to survive. An old aquarium book I have reccomends mixing hydrated lime with water and mix well. After the white settles, mix the clear liquid with 6 parts water and submerge the plants for 15 minutes, the rinse well.

8O I don't mess with bleach. I just rinse and insert. I just manually remove any snails that get too large and unsightly. Otherwise, they don't hurt your tank much. Infact they help keep the algae in check.

Someone suggested adding loaches to eat the snails. May not be a bad way to go if you have a larger tank. At any rate, I'm rambling now. Good night. :mrgreen:

The safest way to get rid of snails on new plants is to soak them in an Ammonium alum solution. Ammonium alum is available in most drug stores---it is an "old fashioned" antacid---it is also used in pickling. Dissolve a few tablespoons in a half bucket of tap water--place the plants in the solution and let soak for about an hour(no need to be exact), rinse and place in tank. I have done this for many of my "snail hating" customers with much success.

I had a massive outbreak of snails when I bought some plants...so I bought a clown loach! he cleared them out in no time, and he's an absolutely beautiful fish to keep. Just be warned, clown loaches get pretty big!

clowns do take a while to get big, but yes, you must plan for it. they also like groups of 4 or more. they are social fish.

Back
Top Bottom