Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

They're about a quarter inch long, give or take, come in several pale colours.. white to light or dark grey, some greenish, or bluish. They stick to the bottom, doing a hop 'n glide sort of motion from hiding spot to hiding spot right at the substrate surface. They're quite fast movers, from above they look very slender, as you can't see their legs, which they keep tucked under when they swim. You'll often see one 'riding' another, they are mating when they do that. Females with eggs look a bit bigger. They breed relatively fast, but as I said, bottom feeders and fish who don't mind hunting the bottom find them very tasty, and they are a good food source.

If you end up with a lot of them, you will see them swimming at other levels of the tank at times.. but if fish are hunting them, they pretty much stick to the bottom.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I fly fish and tie my own fishing flys. Scuds are a good food source for trout by me

Could I get live blood worms or other live worms instead if i dont get scuds???
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish I could find some wild around here.. but the local creek isn't very clean, I'd be leery of such a source. Since I had to take down my big tanks last spring. [ long boring story], most of the scuds went with them. There are just a very few in one tank now, I hope they'll breed, as I have some loaches in another tank that would adore them and some cories who also would adore them. And it's good for fish to hunt their own food, I think.. natural behaviour and all that.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Those creeks are 4 hours away...south west Wisconsin and i am in north east illinois

Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

And I'm in southern Ontario ! I suppose there must be some in the Credit river.. trick is getting to places they'd be, I guess, without getting soaked. And the water is too darn cold now.. hopefully my pitiful little population will rebound.

I had thought they were all gone, but clearly a few made it, so with any luck, given no predation, there should be more with time.

I wonder if they live in lakes ? Lake Ontario is not very far from me, though I've never been keen on eating any locally caught fish, given the pollution, it is the source of our drinking water, after much treatment. Next spring I must get some rubber boots and go hunting for critters.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When i went fly fishing I just had to turn over rocks. Found scuds, may fly nymphs, and caddis fly nymphs. I might see what a local bait shop has for small worms. If they have blood worms I will get those

Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well they didn't list any on their website. Might put a wanted ad in classifieds

Old 11-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, so I have to head for the Forks of the Credit.. that's where I see some folks fly fishing. Next spring for sure.. too darn cold now.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just takes a couple softball size rocks to get enough to stock a tank with scuds

What other worms are out there for live food options??

Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

California Black worms are very good.. suit most fish, though for very tiny ones they're a bit big. White worms, not too hard to culture, they need a soil substrate and are fed something like dog or cat kibbles.

Microworms, very easy to culture, suit small fish and fry.. not true worms, they're nematodes. Also grindal worms can be cultured, similar to white worms I think. And walter worms, which I believe are supposed to be smaller than microworms, and similar in culture.
Oatmeal in a container, with yeast sprinkled on to feed them, and a cover with holes small enough to keep out fruit flies.

Many fish also like fruit fly larvae.. bottom feeders especially like them. Surface feeders will take the flies.. flightless ones are not too hard to culture, the small one, Melanogaster, is easier to culture than is Hydei, which is the size of the wild ones and has a longer life cycle.

Almost any fly larvae are accepted by fish who like live food too. My betta likes house fly larvae, but rarely are these available. They are hard to culture, they need rotting meat to lay eggs on and the resulting maggots need a dry warm place to pupate. So they smell and they're a pain. Every once in awhile I find a few because I feed my cat raw meat, and a piece will get lost under something. So I may find the maggots crawling away to pupate. If I do, I feed them to the Bettas.

For bigger fish, red wigglers may be fine too, they can tear them apart if a whole one is too big and you can cut them up too.. a bit icky but they wriggle after, which attracts fish.

Tags
flora, floramax, kuhli, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com