Leaf fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisher12

Aquarium Advice Regular
The spotted African leaf fish from pet smart, what do you feed them? I can't tell that he has ate any of the blood worms, but he's still alive. I had two, one died 4 days ago but didn't look healthy to begin with. I have a snails I am trying to go get rid of, would he eat them if I crushed them? Also have 2 pregnate platty, planned to feed him the fry. I plan on using fry as his main food source eventually. Guppies are what I want to keep but I cannot keep them alive for more than a few months for some reason, on a side note. Water is all good, 7.8ph and a little hard, a lfs said try using 1 tsp 10 gallon. They would all either float at surface die after several days, all bloated and sometimes bent looking. Others had troubles swimming and would crash to the gravel, just flopping around. Occasionally get up again.. I keep gourami, dwarf gourami, a clown pleco, ghost shrimp,Cory catfish and now a leaf fish. (In 3 sepeperate tanks accordingly)

Thanks for reading, my main question is leaf fish food but thought someone might have a suggestion on the other

Live foods, as they are ambush predators. I've heard you can sometimes get them on pellets, but for the most part it's going to be live foods. Not sure why you have a hard time with guppies though :/

You may have to "train" him to take pellets. Flake food is highly unlikely to ever catch his attention..They are ambush predators,so they like to hide and strike at moving objects.
Small feeder guppies may help keep him healthy till he learns to eat other foods.
I usually try to get a fish to eat regulary with whatever they like.I make sure they get to know who feeds them. Then I start to add in bits of whatever I am trying to get them to eat.This could take weeks so that is why it is importatnt you can offer plenty of what they like until you train them to eat prepared foods.
Some info on your fish;
How to keep your new Leopard Ctenopomas, Ctenopoma acutirostre, with pictures
This is also one fish that often needs vitamins added to their food to keep up on eye health..
For some reason most Ctenopoma first show signs of distress with eye issues?
There are many articles on proper feeding of this fish and its importance....

No one seems to lol. I wondered if I got some that were sick and killed the rest, idk. There are two alive right now I have had a four weeks. They do not seem to happy tho. I change 10 gallons a week in my 55 gallon. The lfs said only 25% a month.

You want to change water based on your stock. So if your levels are high every week, you need to change more water per week, if they aren't showing you can do less or less often.

Leaf fish need calm waters, floating plants and taller plants to hide in. They are shy fish and need to feel comfortable

Back
Top Bottom