LED aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who cares, we're not talking flourecent bulbs here. We're talking led lengths, hopefully your post does not ignite some redundant spectrum debate..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can we talk about weekly water change percentages? :)
I'd go with the pair of planted+ and maybe put the Aqueon up front for an accent light. Not sure what the new finnex lineup includes but it would be nice if their release would drive down the cost of the existing models.
I have a p+ on a much shallower tank along with the existing fugeray. I run them on separate timers to keep the overlap at around 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can we talk about weekly water change percentages? :)
I'd go with the pair of planted+ and maybe put the Aqueon up front for an accent light. Not sure what the new finnex lineup includes but it would be nice if their release would drive down the cost of the existing models.
I have a p+ on a much shallower tank along with the existing fugeray. I run them on separate timers to keep the overlap at around 3 hours.

That might work for a little while, but my plans are to use the aqueon on a smaller tank where that amount of lighting will actually be useful. This light does allow for my crypts grow and reproduce on this existing tank, and my next tank is going to be largely those and moss, and possibly (since it isn't tall) some kind of green carpet...at least until I can upgrade again or try for more light intensive plants ;).

...that won't be for a little while though....

Ok I bit the bullet and ordered two finnex 30" planted plus fixtures! (And because I was on an Amazon binge, I got a new vinyl back strip for my glass top and a Hydor nano powerhead to help a dead spot in a corner of my tank ;) They'll be here tomorrow so I can't wait to use them!

Good spendinnnn tex!

That Amazon Prime membership is amazing! $3 per fixture next day shipping ;)

That Amazon Prime membership is amazing! $3 per fixture next day shipping ;)

I gotta get that! I spent $20 for my last impulse buy..

At this point I am so happy I went with one day shopping because my lights have already arrived! (Two day shipping is free, but who wants to wait an extra day, right?) Anyways I will post a before and after pic when the lights come on in a couple hours ;) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412790514.345402.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412801414.485300.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412801434.651677.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412801456.372379.jpg

Before and after...looking good! Even the blue moonlights are amazing (in the daytime even;)

Now I'm waiting for my powerhead to get here while creating a DIY spray bar that actually fits the length of my tank ;)

Oh and forgive the hornwort mess...clearly someone had fun digging that up last night?

Hey... look at that!! You're welcome :D

Thanks for all the input!!! I appreciate you always answering my million questions about this tank ;)

Regard the before and after pics....nice! I can see the corners of the tank. It really lights up things.
I see you did not go with the mounting legs. My problem with them and glass tops is that they allow quite a bit of blinding reflection from the top. Less so when the fixtures rest on the glass.
I had a heavy piece of black blotting board (say that 3 times) that was supposed to go on the back of my tank as a background. Instead, I cut a length of it and it set it in front of the fixtures to block the reflection/glare. I taped a black trash bag on as a background.

Regard the before and after pics....nice! I can see the corners of the tank. It really lights up things.
I see you did not go with the mounting legs. My problem with them and glass tops is that they allow quite a bit of blinding reflection from the top. Less so when the fixtures rest on the glass.
I had a heavy piece of black blotting board (say that 3 times) that was supposed to go on the back of my tank as a background. Instead, I cut a length of it and it set it in front of the fixtures to block the reflection/glare. I taped a black trash bag on as a background.

Yeah I decided no legs...to much glare and it felt like we were in some laboratory in the living room ? Thanks for the advice on the black blotting board... I might try and tackle that after I get done figuring out this diy spray bar extension ???

Leds right on the glass may may be an issue.. is there any breathing room between the two? They get pretty hot, tops do anyways

Sort of on the inside edges of them. So far they've been on 4 hours and the glass is still cool. I'm watching them, though. I read that these don't get too crazy hot...

The aluminum housing is supposed to dissipate the heat. Now if it had heat sink fins along the top and tiny silent fans running....okay overkill.
Mine are mounted on the legs and they do get warm. But not hot like a T5 housing.

Makes sense the top would be hot.. not trying to cause worry, just something to monitor is all

Makes sense the top would be hot.. not trying to cause worry, just something to monitor is all

Gotcha, ya I'm not worried but I'm home today, so I can monitor the heat ....aaaaaaand it's clean out the tanks day...so I'll be doing that for the foreseeable future lol

Tank is looking good with new lights! I did start dosing with Excel again, although only half dose in case my hornwort hates it...

I am excited to see how my plants respond and nervous about how I will change my fertilizer routine ? That being said, I swear there is already new growth on the top part of my tallest hornwort!

Back
Top Bottom