LED light for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I have a seventy five gallon that I am going to set up as a South American planted tank (my first one!). Unfortunately, all I have is an led light system. Will plants survive under this lighting? Also, is there any beginner plants for me to use? Suggestions appreciated.

I have no idea what I'm doing (new). So I went with low light beginner plants, Java fern, anubias, anacharis, marimo moss balls, water sprite and going to get some frogbit. I do have dwarf hairgrass but time will tell on that one. I bought flourish excel just for the hairgrass. Fingers crossed. I have stock LEDs on my 20 gallon too. Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What type of LED fixture is on your tank? A 75g is probably too tall for the LED's that usually come bundled with a kit tank. You might need to add additional lighting.

Definitely not enough light for plants. A double bright would be the minimum for low light plants on that tank, IMO.

I'd upgrade or if there's room under the hood, maybe you can add another fixture.

I might buy a new light i think. Any recommended models that are relatively inexpensive?

For a 48" long light to achieve more light on a 21" tall tank, $50 is not going to do it unless you either find a LED fixture used at a good price or you go with an inexpensive t5ho fixture like Odyssea. For LED, you can look at Finnex or Beamswork as they are the most inexpensive you can go while maintaining some level of quality.

Back
Top Bottom