LED Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a planted 72g with a T5HO 3x54w fixture. I am thinking of replacing that light with an LED fixture. I was looking at the Marineland double bright fixture but I'm not sure if that will be enough light. Does anyone out there know about the Marineland LED lights?

If you are intentionally trying to reduce your light, then you can try removing bulbs, raising the fixture, or putting a screen between the lights and the tank.

I was actually thinking about reducing my energy consumption costs. For research I've recently done it is a savings but not as much as one might think. I also found that fixtures, unless you want red light, for freshwater tanks are very expensive and rare.

I was actually thinking about reducing my energy consumption costs. For research I've recently done it is a savings but not as much as one might think. I also found that fixtures, unless you want red light, for freshwater tanks are very expensive and rare.
If you want to build your own you can get cree leds.

Amicus said:
I looked into that too and it seems that it can get just as costly as a pre fab fixture.

There are a few ways to cut costs doing DIY LEDs if you are handy with a soldering iron and other basic tools. And there are other LED manufacturers besides CREE that cost less, to name a few: Luxon, Osram and Hero-LED. The only thing that is required is that the LEDs are three watts or better and that you use appropriate optics. I'm not saying it is not still expensive but considering long term costs of energy and bulb replacement it could pay for itself in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom