Led lighting for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im thinking of purchasing the 24-30 inch Marineland ml double bright led light fixture for my 26 bf tank. It will be planted with low to moderate plants, would this support them?

image-385795885.jpg

Hi did you end up getting these lights ? If yes how is it ? I ordered one for my 55 gal waiting on delivery

Decided not to purchase It as I just wasn't sure. It had mixed reviews online :)

Good choice... the Marineland DB is only good for low light plants on a tank as tall as yours.

Did you get a glass versa top for your 26g? If not, the Ray 2 will still be slim enough to fit on the stock hood...

Here's mine:
8301337018_21dccb4489_b.jpg

I even had room to spare to install some LED lunar lights:
8300284187_a6393e1b79_b.jpg

Just keep in mind though, with a single Ray 2 fixture, you'll be getting about medium intensity lighting due to the height of the 26g BF. If you want "high light" to grow red plants, you'll probably need the versa top and a 2nd fixture...

But on a single fixture, I still managed to get some decent growth... here's a time-lapse of 8 weeks. I'm also using co2 injection and dry ferts from GLA.

ibcvMYcPovYkV9.jpg

Most of the results I've seen with the Marineland Doublebrights have been disappointing as well. Your caution is well placed.

Good choice... the Marineland DB is only good for low light plants on a tank as tall as yours.

Did you get a glass versa top for your 26g? If not, the Ray 2 will still be slim enough to fit on the stock hood...

Here's mine:

I even had room to spare to install some LED lunar lights:

Just keep in mind though, with a single Ray 2 fixture, you'll be getting about medium intensity lighting due to the height of the 26g BF. If you want "high light" to grow red plants, you'll probably need the versa top and a 2nd fixture...

But on a single fixture, I still managed to get some decent growth... here's a time-lapse of 8 weeks. I'm also using co2 injection and dry ferts from GLA.

I actually just ordered a versa top on amazon. It should arrive sometime this week.

Your tank looks incredible!! Way nicer than mine.

How much do the ray 2's cost? I don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money.

I have no clue have to use co2 but would like to get into it If I ever need it.

I currently don't have many plants, just some Anubias, rotala indica, some other plant I don't remember the name of, and water wisteria.

One more thing.. These guys on YouTube have the 26g BF with the Ray 2. I think they had a weaker T5NO coralife fixture at first before the switch. So some of the growth can be attributed to that. They're using the versa top too. If you're really interested in it, you should message them to see how the tank is doing. I think they're not using co2 and some of their plant selection are low to moderate light plants... Might be advantageous to see what they're doing in terms of ferts, photoperiod, etc.

Im thinking of purchasing the 24-30 inch Marineland ml double bright led light fixture for my 26 bf tank. It will be planted with low to moderate plants, would this support them?

In my opinion the led is no good they burn out or malfunction u are done. With the t5 u can buy a new bulb or ballast or what ever u need led goes bad your stuck lol. I bought 500$ in lights "LED" and one the blue light stopped working and the other almost caught fire seriously. Your call but the T5 is the way to go

Which LED light did you buy Make Money? As with anything in life, not all things are created equal -- this is especially true whether it be LED or T5's... The same thing could be said with the earlier generation of Odyssea T5HO's which someone mentioned a fire issue. I haven't heard much of any problems with LED's unless you're buying some cheap ebay ones or if you're DIY'ing some high powered CREE HO LED's and didn't cool them off with the appropriate fans and heatsinks or what not.

The marine land ones here's a pic I tossed 1 away in the trash this one the blue light quit working the other almost burned up melted the plug in

Attachments

• image-947083064.jpg
    image-947083064.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 68
Marineland is making a plant friendly spectrum LED that is also programmable. I did a splurge for Christmas and bought one for my 16g bowfront. They are pricey though but no bulb replacment helps justify a little. LOL It is a totally different animal than their single and double bright LED's. The PAR values on it were about triple that of the double bright. My plants responded very well and the programming feature makes controlling the photo period precise. The night mode is also programmable. I would order from DR. Foster & Smith because they are about the cheapest. OS.

Last edited:
Marineland is making a plant friendly spectrum LED that is also programmable. I did a splurge for Christmas and bought one for my 16g bowfront. They are pricey though but no bulb replacment helps justify a little. LOL It is a totally different animal than their single and double bright LED's. The PAR values on it were about triple that of the double bright. My plants responded very well and the programming feature makes controlling the photo period precise. The night mode is also programmable. I ordered mine from DR. Foster & Smith. OS.

How much did it cost ?? Do you have a link? :)

The one for our size is about 140 to 150 I think. Go to Dr. Foster & Smith website and take a look. Mine really outshines my 30g dual T5 HO flourescents. OS.

Back
Top Bottom