Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
LED Lights - Enough lights and What can I plant?

The days of WPG are gone, it sbeen a while since I've been in the game.

I bought two of these fixtures, and am happy with their aesthetic output, but I want some groundcover plants when I replant my tank and am a bit afraid that they aren't bright enough.

I have two of these lights over a 75 gallon. (one for each side)

Listing says they're 11 watts, but it comes with a 20 watt powersupply.

I have Pressurized CO2 running and I'm currently on the low side of the ppm scale. (hard water, its hard to absorb enough without burning through tanks of CO2)

That being said: Think the light is enough to have some good ground color and colorful plants?

I have a large piece of "Tree" like driftwood I want to plant in various heights.

Also, I'm trying to get a grip on my BBA. Its slowly looking more unhealthy as my crypts are growing like weeds.

Thanks in advance for your Aquarium Advice!

5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those lights won't do much on that tank. Low low light

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have another light fixture I made a while ago, but it was flakey. I can add to this and make an enclosure for them all I suppose.

it was composed of 12 Cree XP-G 5000k lights, I can run them upto 1350mah but I did not enjoy the look of them for some reason. Combined with these fixtures though (which have some blue LED's) it may look better.

Think that would do it?

Edit: Specs of unit I built: Overdriving Meanwell ELN 48 60D
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

LED Lights - Enough lights and What can I plant?

To be honest I recon you would be in the low light region. So plants like crypts, Java fern, mosses, vals, anubias. All have a lot of different types and Colours. I'd say reds and carpets will need more lighting

In regards to co2 it's best to run a reactor for large tanks. Google cerges or Griggs reactor. I run about 5 bps in my 60g and I hit the 30ppm target with some serious surface agitation.

Lighting is measured in par now so I'd read up about PAR before getting anymore fixtures.

High light fixtures are expensive and you will require that 30ppm of co2 or you'll run into trouble.

BBA is mainly caused by low co2 and a build up of organics
Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

currently I have a ceramic diffuser which bubbles up into the intake of a powerhead. It is aimed downward so the bubbles are in contact with the water for a good long while, and it throws them halfway across the tank. (which doesn't look very good IMO.. so the reactor might be a good idea.

I am having trouble finding LED lights of sufficient power meant for Fresh water planted tanks. Is there a known great price/performance contender?

Im handy with a soldering iron, electronics, etc. I would gladly go DIY (again) if it saves some money. (and this way I can play with relays/arduino to make it automated and tie into CO2 Regulator)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudz View Post
currently I have a ceramic diffuser which bubbles up into the intake of a powerhead. It is aimed downward so the bubbles are in contact with the water for a good long while, and it throws them halfway across the tank. (which doesn't look very good IMO.. so the reactor might be a good idea.

I am having trouble finding LED lights of sufficient power meant for Fresh water planted tanks. Is there a known great price/performance contender?

Im handy with a soldering iron, electronics, etc. I would gladly go DIY (again) if it saves some money. (and this way I can play with relays/arduino to make it automated and tie into CO2 Regulator)

I use makemyled from south Australia and they make them to all size tanks and depths. You might be able to find out what they use and make your own. Highly recommend the LED's they use.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
I use makemyled from south Australia and they make them to all size tanks and depths. You might be able to find out what they use and make your own. Highly recommend the LED's they use.
Ugh, literally the complete oppisite side of the globe to me, lol. I'll check shipping anyway, or just clone the design.

I think my existing (36 watt Cree XP-G) might do it if I focus it and get some optics for it. I got 5000k LED's.

So many Amazon sellers selling "PAR" meters which are actually lux meters. Zero help. PAR meter seem quite expensive. I'll see if anyone local to me (Ontario, Canada) has one they'd be willing to loan/rent me.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, I fixed my Driver. It now no longer dims.

Set it to run at its maximum 1300mah. Plugged into a power meter it draws 56 watts. These are 6000k Cree XP-G R5's

Forward voltage is 3.1v and current is 1310mah. (about 4 watts each)

At this level it should put out quite a bit, but unforutnately I have no idea what PAR.

All I know is that I put it up on my tank just now, and within 5 minutes the plants started dishing out bubbles like nobody's business. May have to step up the CO2.

Pictures! (really roughly put in, I think I'm going to make a shallow open backed enclosure to stop the light from blinding people in my living room)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudz View Post
Ugh, literally the complete oppisite side of the globe to me, lol. I'll check shipping anyway, or just clone the design.

I think my existing (36 watt Cree XP-G) might do it if I focus it and get some optics for it. I got 5000k LED's.

So many Amazon sellers selling "PAR" meters which are actually lux meters. Zero help. PAR meter seem quite expensive. I'll see if anyone local to me (Ontario, Canada) has one they'd be willing to loan/rent me.

I have a Seneye reef par meter after I tried several times to get the apogee mq200 meter. I think the apogee is better but the Seneye has been useful. It is cheaper (well here it was - also in Australia) BUT you need to spend extra to get the readings to your computer (I have the long coms cord).
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to get optics for the XP-G's. I don't like their light color but its obvious it helps.

I think I may make an additional light bar with Cree Red, blue and UV to fill out the spectrum. Probably just 8 LEDs. 4 Blue 2 green, 2 red. (assuming I can run them on the same power supply..., not sure if can find LED's that carry the same Forward voltage and current requirements.

More research is needed.

Edit: research is futile. I'll need multiple drivers. I may as well go big and replace all my lighting and see what I an sell.

Problem is Red LED's have different voltage requirements than Blue, Green, White. I mind as well do a full fledged Light Panel.

We'll see what I can afford. I'm annoyed the panels I bought from Amazon are so weak. They LOOK bright, but lack the power to penetrate. Zero optics.

Tags
led, light, lights, plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com