LED lights for planted vs. Non-planted in 5.5 G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I’m currently setting up a Sakura 5.5 G planted tank. There’s some Anubias, crested java fern, and. “tropica fern” (never heard of but got it at petco, looks like normal java fern to me). My tanks not filled with them, but I’d like to give my plants the best chance at thriving! As of now I have a measly National Geographic LED clip on (I do not recommend, it’s a pain to attach and overheats easily).

This is my first planted tank, and I’m debating what lighting is needed for it. I found an Aqueon model that sells two versions: freshwater and planted. I attached pics of my tank as well as the boxes of the two models I’m considering.

There aren’t too many reviews on the sites I’ve been looking up, but with a 5.5G, I’m worried that the light specifically made for planted tanks would be an overkill.

Any insights are appreciated, thanks!

IMG_6194.jpgIMG_6208.jpg IMG_6210.jpgIMG_6211.jpg

Oops, forgot to include the planted PAR info ! IMG_6209.jpg

I assume these are low light plants? If that's the case just go with the freshwater light or regular LED aquarium lights.

I’m not familiar with that light fixture but according to the PAR chart, it should be sufficient for the plants you have.
Speaking of plants, the only one that should be planted in the substrate is the one on the right side (looks like a type of crypt). The remaining should be planted with their rhizomes ABOVE the substrate (tied or glued to a small rock or a piece of driftwood).

I’m not familiar with that light fixture but according to the PAR chart, it should be sufficient for the plants you have.
Speaking of plants, the only one that should be planted in the substrate is the one on the right side (looks like a type of crypt). The remaining should be planted with their rhizomes ABOVE the substrate (tied or glued to a small rock or a piece of driftwood).

True, I read up on that and thought maybe I’ll glue then to the drift wood or lift them up higher from the substrate. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom