Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

LED lights for planted vs. Non-planted in 5.5 G

Hi all,

Iím currently setting up a Sakura 5.5 G planted tank. Thereís some Anubias, crested java fern, and. ďtropica fernĒ (never heard of but got it at petco, looks like normal java fern to me). My tanks not filled with them, but Iíd like to give my plants the best chance at thriving! As of now I have a measly National Geographic LED clip on (I do not recommend, itís a pain to attach and overheats easily).

This is my first planted tank, and Iím debating what lighting is needed for it. I found an Aqueon model that sells two versions: freshwater and planted. I attached pics of my tank as well as the boxes of the two models Iím considering.

There arenít too many reviews on the sites Iíve been looking up, but with a 5.5G, Iím worried that the light specifically made for planted tanks would be an overkill.

Any insights are appreciated, thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6194.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	310713Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6208.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	310714 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6210.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	310715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6211.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	310716

Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oops, forgot to include the planted PAR info ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6209.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	310718

Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I assume these are low light plants? If that's the case just go with the freshwater light or regular LED aquarium lights.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Iím not familiar with that light fixture but according to the PAR chart, it should be sufficient for the plants you have.
Speaking of plants, the only one that should be planted in the substrate is the one on the right side (looks like a type of crypt). The remaining should be planted with their rhizomes ABOVE the substrate (tied or glued to a small rock or a piece of driftwood).
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Iím not familiar with that light fixture but according to the PAR chart, it should be sufficient for the plants you have.
Speaking of plants, the only one that should be planted in the substrate is the one on the right side (looks like a type of crypt). The remaining should be planted with their rhizomes ABOVE the substrate (tied or glued to a small rock or a piece of driftwood).

True, I read up on that and thought maybe Iíll glue then to the drift wood or lift them up higher from the substrate. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
led, light, lights, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com