LED Reccommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also remember that the OP wants to use his original hood, so most fixtures will loose light unless they're pretty skinny. I tried adding a t5 to the original hoods before and you lose a lot of light, that's why I suggested the led strips mounted inside the original fixture, and I didn't mean just the normal TrueLumen led strips, was just suggesting the brand, I should have specified

The glass spot for my 20g is wide enough to fit the Finnex over it. I can only assume that the hood for the 36" BF is the same if not bigger.

Clarification Photos

Maybe this will help. :fish2:

"Back in October I purchased the Aqueon 36 bowfront kit. The lights are insufficient for plants so I would like to upgrade the lights to LED. I do want to keep the cover. Removing the current light fixture leaves a glass window 4x30". "

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 52
Perhaps I can help shed some light on this... get it "light" haha... Okay that was corny! :brows:

Anyway, down to business... I have a similar tank as yours Magicmarymac, except I have the 26 gallon bow front version. They are very similar in dimensions (26g = 24"L x 15"W x 21"H vs. 36g = 30"L x 15"W x 21"H)... Only difference is length.
Here's my thread on my 26g in case you want to see the full details:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...irst-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

Anyway, I have been using the Finnex Ray 2 24" double daylight fixture on my 26g and I'm getting "medium" lighting due to distance from light to substrate (~18"). I am also, as you want to do, placing the fixture right on that glass window on the hood.
Here's how mine looks...
8301337018_21dccb4489_c.jpg

Here's how the Finnex Ray 2 performed on my tank after 8 weeks of growth (granted I use pressurized co2, use Flourish root tabs in Floramax substrate, and dose PPS-Pro dry ferts from GLA):
ibcvMYcPovYkV9.jpg

Lastly, make sure "if" you get the Finnex Ray 2 to get the "Dual 7000k LEDs" and not the daylight/actinic one... as the latter is for saltwater tanks.

I subscribed to your thread some time ago, which is why I was thinking about Finnex. I have been, in my less than educated state, looking at them and noticed that many do not come in 30". The good news is that because I am on about a $100 a month budget and I also want to first upgrade both my 12 and 36 with Co2, and add canister filters to each, it will probably be June before I can get to the LED for the 36! In the mean time I will continue to read and read and read.

By the way, loved the corny joke!

Thank you very much,

Mary

Thank you. You should email Aqua Vibrant and find out if they'll still be offering the 30" version. It looks to be all sold out on Amazon.
AquaVibrant

Or just get the 30" FugeRay, but this will limit you to low light tolerant plants. Which is still a nice option, especially for those who don't want the extra fuss with co2 and maintenance.

Or... just get a glass versatop and get an inexpensive T5HO fixture.
Amazon.com: All Glass Aquarium AAG29603 Versa Top, 36bf: Pet Supplies

Edit: Actually, I just checked AquaVibrant's stock and they appear to have the 30" Ray 2 in stock.
http://www.aquavibrant.com/lighting...nnex-ray-ii-ultra-slim-led-ds-dual-7000k.html

I use the TrueLumen Pros along with a dual T5HO fixture on my tank, and it grows plants wild lol. But I do agree, the fugeray is only for the low low light plants, and it may be just enough to grow the low light plants at your tank height, but I hear they do not get the best PAR ratings....I do like the Ray 2s tho :)

EDIT- sorry I tuned in a little late and only read the first page of this thread - didn't know there was 3 lol and Magicmarymac, what's the plant growing out of the tank? It looks familiar..think it's starts with a p? Lol I forgot the name and it's killing me :)

I use the TrueLumen Pros along with a dual T5HO fixture on my tank, and it grows plants wild lol. But I do agree, the fugeray is only for the low low light plants, and it may be just enough to grow the low light plants at your tank height, but I hear they do not get the best PAR ratings....I do like the Ray 2s tho :)

EDIT- sorry I tuned in a little late and only read the first page of this thread - didn't know there was 3 lol and Magicmarymac, what's the plant growing out of the tank? It looks familiar..think it's starts with a p? Lol I forgot the name and it's killing me :)

I think that plant growing out of the tank rhymes with "o-thos" lol

Cheap as I am, my suggestion for the time being throw a 10000K daylight bulb in and do some research into what you want from your lighting, what plants you are interested in and how your livestock will handle being in a planted tank....

Back
Top Bottom