LED vs Fluorescent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UntimelyLord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what the consensus is for LED vs Fluorescent lighting in planted tanks? Most of the posts I've seen discussing this are 5+ years old, and I'm thinking that technology has changed significantly since then.
I've also heard that LEDs are okay only for shallow tanks? Is this accurate?

I just today talked to an experienced man at my LFS and he says he would much rather recommend LEDS Vs Florescent, one of the reasons being they last really long, and you don't have to replace the lights. They also have the spikes in the blue and red spectrum's which plants can see but humans hardly can. They also are bright so it makes the tank look good for the human eye, I personally use fluorescent bulbs and have 2 of them and they work great for me, because LEDS are cheaper in the long run yet more expensive to buy. And im pretty sure that LEDS would work for deep tanks as well, you just get brighter ones. Because my LFS has leds on there 125 gallon tanks and they look bright and have plants thriving. Hope this kinda helped.

I've operated LED fixtures on my Planted tank for over 3 years and have had pretty good success. In addition to the benefits listed above, they produce minimal heat, can be dimmed, and can be extremely compact resulting in a small chassis.
There are great ones as well as not so great ones on the market.

+1 on LED's. Much better and user friendly. Better adjustment and slimline.

The guy who made my lights for me can make them for tanks up to 80cm deep!

Back
Top Bottom