Length of time between Dosing and Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing a lot of research and about to dive off into my first low light plants. I bought the Green Leaf Aquatics fertilizer kit and I will be using the Metricide for the Glut dosing in place of Excel. I have Eco Complete substrate mixed with sand.
My question is: I read that I need to dose daily before the lights come on, but does it matter how long before the lights come on? I’m trying to dose before I leave for work but the lights are set to come on from 10:30am to 9:30 pm.

Assuming you leave for work in the 7-9am area, that is perfectly fine if the lights are to come on at 10:30am.

I dose @ 6am and my first light cycle doesn't start until 2pm and I've never had any problem !! Good welcome to the addiction !! (y)

Typically I would dose in the AM, however, depending on my schedule, it would often occur in the evenings while feeding the fish. I often wondered if it really mattered. I mean, are the macros and micros breaking down or being consumed overnight?

I just dose at night.

Maybe chelated micro ferts might be an issue(?) but I’ve been cutting back micros here and not seeing any issues.

Oh haha I’m sorry, yes I leave for work around 6am and lights come on at 10:30 am. Thanks for the advice! I hope I can keep my plants nice and healthy. The red tiger lotus looks like it’s going to be my fave. I may get some toot tabs as well.
Glad to know that other dose well before lights come on also

Yea the chelate's can quickly be broken down and Excel has a very short half life so it will also be broken down.

Is it the light that breaks them down?

Yes and no. Light and water will break down the Excel (if my mind is remembering correctly) but it's the pH that breaks apart the chelated micro nutrients (Chelated Fe is broken down into plant-UNavailable precipitate at a pH >7.0)

That's why I always advise to use products such as Flourish Comprehensive instead of CSM+B for tanks >7.0 pH.

Might be able to find in old posts - from memory, glut breaks down in light as well (store out of light), else no use by date.

Back
Top Bottom