Let's build a low tech tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased an Aquamanta Xanti 26 (Glass Aquarium Xanti 26 « Aquamanta) from a local dealer and is now my betta's new tank.

I want to turn this tank into a great looking aquascape-esk tank, however it will require low light, easy to care for plants which is where some plant knowledgeable people can help!

I think it would be fun for people to give some plant suggestions and i can add them as we get the tank going so everyone can be a little involved in parts of its build!

Specifications

Lighting:
Stock light, is advertised "as providing a spectrum that promotes plant growth." But i think its a low quality light.
I may add a second, or maybe even different light to bump it up to medium lights and i have contacted the company with more details regarding its specifications.

Substrate:
Plain ol' fine black gravel. I don't want to add any special substrate after my last tank was constantly having ammonia problems from the suspected Fluval shrimp stratum..
I will properly add root tabs if needed for some extra plant nutrients.

Hardscape:
Nice sized piece of gold vine driftwood that's sitting in my mothers fish pond getting water logged.

Fertilizers:
Since i use ADA green bighty step 2 in my other tank ill properly use this in this tank too for a little boost. Might buy different ferts soon since ive almost run out of this one.

And finally... what plants!!
I currently have in the tank:

- 2 stalks whisteria
- 2 bunches of an unknown plant that has small flowers

- little bunches of some kind of crypts

- 2 bunches of another kind of crypt (middle of the tank, it looks brown)
- 2 mini lillies

- 1 amazon sword
- 1 another random crypt

and some moss!

This being said, ALMOST ALL of these plants will most likely be given away/ traded/ gifted to people (depending on what people think would make a good laying using some of them) to make room for a better, less messy looking scape that i just randomly threw together. That driftwood will also go back into the storage box.

SO, i really need some suggestions and idea inputs as to what plants to use for what purpose (foreground, middle and background) keeping in mind that this tank will also feature shrimps once it cycles!

I really like the idea of dwarf hairgrass / dwarf sag as a foreground plant, the rest i need suggestions with!!

I'm going to look at some more plants today, might get some more of those brown crypts (maybe 2-3 more bunches) and ask about some good background plants.

My new fave LFS wasnt open today, so maybe sometime this week ill get to go again..
Going to be hard since i might not have a job from next week :nono: Got to love business ey? Fingers crossed it goes okay so i can keep funding my tanks ;)

As a background plant i was thinking either vals (i replaced them in my other tank so i have a good amount just floating around in my mothers tank i can steal back) or maybe give anacharias a try in my tank since im using it in the other. It is under a window so it recieves some natural light during the days so that might give it a little boost..
Thoughts?
I would like to stay away from wisteria as it grows like crazy and i think it looks way too messy and bushy!

Back
Top Bottom