Lets play, "Is my Coralife light fixture wired in series or parallel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumBot3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Come on down for this round of "Is my Coralife light fixture wired in series or parallel?" Where everythings made up and the points don't matter. In this round, contestants will see if a Coralife light fixture is broken? Or needs two bulbs to operate properly. Let's get a description of the light fixture...

(Narrator with hot lady Vana White-ing the fixture) So this light fixture is a brand new Coralife 48" dual HO light fixture. Its for a 55 gallon long tank and was shipped yesterday. Upon arrival, the 10,000K bulb that it came with broke during shipping. The actinic bulb is currently intact. When plugging the fixture in the wall, nothing happens. Is the Coralife fixture broken? Or does it need two bulbs to operate? Back you you bob.

Lets see what our contestants come up with... Good Luck!

I would get a wire and attach it where the second bulb would usually go and see if it turns on..

I would get a wire and attach it where the second bulb would usually go and see if it turns on..

Ooo, I'm sorry, that is not the answer we were looking for. I can barely operate a toaster, I don't think I could safely stick wires places without severe bodily harm.

Try putting the still intact bulb in the other slot (other than the one you tried). If it doesn't work, it means that either the "intact" bulb is broken or the fixture is wired in series (or it is still possible that the fixture us broken, but unlikely)

Last edited:
Try putting the still intact bulb in the other slot (other than the one you tried). If it doesn't work, it means that either the "intact" bulb is broken or the fixture is wired in series (or it is still possible that the fixture us broken, but unlikely)

Okie dokie, will do. Ya I know its a weird thing to ask because most people don't go around having 1 light bulb in a fixture that has space for 2. The replacement bulb is on its way from the vendor. It will just be about a week before it gets here and I am afraid that when the replacement bulb gets here and I plug it in that the whole fixture might be broke. If all else fails, I will wait and see. Also, the fixture comes with one 10,000k bulb and an Actinic bulb. I know there is some debate on the benefits or lack thereof on having an Actinic bulb in a freshwater planted tank. Will having one of each be beneficial? Or should I look at eventually replacing the Actinic with another bulb? If I should replace the Actinic eventually, what bulb should I put in there seeing as I already have 1 10,000k bulb?

Okie dokie, will do. Ya I know its a weird thing to ask because most people don't go around having 1 light bulb in a fixture that has space for 2. The replacement bulb is on its way from the vendor. It will just be about a week before it gets here and I am afraid that when the replacement bulb gets here and I plug it in that the whole fixture might be broke. If all else fails, I will wait and see. Also, the fixture comes with one 10,000k bulb and an Actinic bulb. I know there is some debate on the benefits or lack thereof on having an Actinic bulb in a freshwater planted tank. Will having one of each be beneficial? Or should I look at eventually replacing the Actinic with another bulb? If I should replace the Actinic eventually, what bulb should I put in there seeing as I already have 1 10,000k bulb?

I think you must have a fixture meant for saltwater, as they normally have one daylight and one actnic bulb. I wouldn't run just an actnic bulb because the blue light may cause algae growth (well, more than that of a daylight bulb). If you can, I suggest replacing the actnic for another daylight so that you have two 10,000K bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom