LFS Plants Advice Needs Attention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaCheatah

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i know its been a while since i put up a post or even been here

but i come today asking for the relevant advice

my LFS has some good plants at a really good price

hornwort plants for 2.98 per bunch and they sell out quick cause its a plant that really dont need any planting and is best to keep afloat so fry can just hide and chill if you got tons of it

problem is with my LFS is that they keep on getting ick or having the excuse of having it so at times when i go and i see the signs saying "i've come down with something check back on me at a later time" meaning they got parasites or something of the sort even at times checked with the clerks and they tell me a story that they are not allowed to sell me any plants or fishes during that time and the plants are sold out days later..

last time i went i told them i would take the risk and bought some come to find out after a few days no ick was introduced to my tank and at the same time i was feeding medicated fish food to my schooling fishes

so now they got tons of Hornworts and i wanna purchase some what do i do here if i am able to get the sale or say that i will once again take the risk of getting the plants

what would be the best thing to do once i bring the plants home...

all in all thanks for the advice and for taking the time to read this
maybe it will help a future user with the same situation i got going..

Would it be possible to setup a quarantine or holding tank for these? I QT all new fish and don't see why you can't do the same with plants.
With no fish to serve as hosts, you should be able to outlast the normal ich lifecycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

well i ended up getting the plants been rising them in cold water dipped it for like 10 mins in running water i did see lots of snails drop so i am guessing its a good thing and a good start will continue doing so for another 10 mins in a few

but what are your takes on this method you think it will remove any live or egg formed ick doing this ?

atm i dont have a QT i been thinking of getting a small one but i have to make space for one and see if the family would approve before i do

last resort i got and i hate to wait on things is to put some kordon ick remover and wait two days before i intro the plants in the tank cause i know by then the plants will end up dying off and i will be left with stems in the tank

and i def dont wanna bleach dip some suggest that but i am not really for it being that its hornwort

Salt water dip. Under a minute is a good easy way to get any remaining snails to drop off.

Salt water dip. Under a minute is a good easy way to get any remaining snails to drop off.

yeah but i got these plants today from an ick tank from the LFS

tho its been in treatment for about 2 weeks i been told i am still a bit skeptic
so i been cold water dipping it for 10 mins in running water tons of snails came off

so i felt its a good sign that the dip is working right now i am just letting it sit in cold water cause i def dont wanna warm water the plants an kill it off

but in any case i am unsure if that even works out well doing what i am doing

Back
Top Bottom