Lid for Planted Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoisyMime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a beginner aquarist, with a 1-year-old 10-gallon aquarium. It has only artificial plants in it, but I'm looking to transition into live ones. The plastic lid currently in use has a special slot for a LED light. However, I am told that the light has no UV capabilities, and needs to be replaced with one that does in order for live plants to survive. There are no other lights that fit in my current lid, so I'll be forced to get rid of it. With no lid, I'll probably buy a UV-LED light with stands on it so that it can attach to my aquarium. The issue with this is that it may cause too much evaporation... Is this the case? What should I do to avoid evaporation, yet still have a stand-alone light? I know this was a long question, but I need help. Thank you!

By the way, here is the aquarium and lid that I have. Maybe this could help.

Aquarium:
Marineland® 10 Gallon BioWheel LED Aquarium Kit | fish Starter Kits | PetSmart

Lid/Light:
Aquarium Lighting Led Aquarium Hoods | Marineland

I'm a beginner aquarist, with a 1-year-old 10-gallon aquarium. It has only artificial plants in it, but I'm looking to transition into live ones. The plastic lid currently in use has a special slot for a LED light. However, I am told that the light has no UV capabilities, and needs to be replaced with one that does in order for live plants to survive. There are no other lights that fit in my current lid, so I'll be forced to get rid of it. With no lid, I'll probably buy a UV-LED light with stands on it so that it can attach to my aquarium. The issue with this is that it may cause too much evaporation... Is this the case? What should I do to avoid evaporation, yet still have a stand-alone light? I know this was a long question, but I need help. Thank you!

By the way, here is the aquarium and lid that I have. Maybe this could help.

Aquarium:

Marineland[emoji768] 10 Gallon BioWheel LED Aquarium Kit | fish Starter Kits | PetSmart

Lid/Light:

Aquarium Lighting Led Aquarium Hoods | Marineland

Hey mate I'm sure your lighting would be fine for a low tech setup. Java fern, anubias, Amazon swords, vals, bacopa, crypts will all most likely grow fine. I'd start with Java ferns (all varietys) and crypts to begin with untill you get a feel for looking after plants.

I'm confident that light will grow them.

Evaporation happens. Just add a little water occasionally. I have no top on my 30 gallon. I usually add 5 gallons mid week in winter. Get less evap in summer

If you doing plants you are going to be doing partial water changes weekly or bi weekly as well

Bert is right, but if you buy another light a versa top or perfection glass top would work for you. I have them on my tanks and like them.

Thank you all for your help with this problem. I think I'll just stick with the light I have right now, try out some plants, and see how things go. Thanks for the info!

Thank you all for your help with this problem. I think I'll just stick with the light I have right now, try out some plants, and see how things go. Thanks for the info!

Make sure to go for "low light" plants.

Anubias
Java fern
Bacopa
Hygrophila
Crypts
Bolbitus
Mosses

These will be your best bet for a low light tank, avoid red plants as they are high light only.

Back
Top Bottom