Light color temperature for freshwater plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelpie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I want to retrofit my 7 gallon mini-bow with the CSL 32 W smartlight.

The Smart Lamp is the worlds first, true 10,000K Premium Daylight and Ultra-Actinic lamps side by side. The single daylight tube duplicates the natural full-spectrum lighting requirements of fish and invertebrates. The actinic tube peaks at 460 nanometers, providing optimal energy for activation of photosynthesis in chlorophyll A and C.

I've used 5,500K - 5.700K before with great success. I wonder if the color temp. of the 32 W above would be okay for various species of amazon swords?

Thanks,
Kelpie

i would trade the smartlight for a 6500k bulb, plants get no benefit from the actinic side of the bulb and IMO would not be using the fixture to full potential.

IMO, they will not gain anything from the increased color temp, but if the intensity is there, they will still grow at a good pace and be healthy. IMO, the best light for FW aquatic plants is in the 5500K - 6700K range, but I also belive the same with SW corals, intensity is more important than spectrum. Personally for looks I find the higher spectrum bulbs more pleasing to the eye, but if I were you and wanted to go higher spectrum, I would ditch the actinic and go with a straight 10K.

I have 6700K's toward the front of my 80 gallon and 8800K's in the back.
I also had the SmartLamps and returned them.. The actinic light gave my aquarium a 'washed out' look. It seemed to wipe out the green of the plants. It looked very strange...

Back
Top Bottom