Light examples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 4 pack of bulbs are in a box, I opened it up in the store and looked at them

Dottie its hard for me to guesstimate on the fitment, if I had it in hand I could tell you with certainty. They should fit from others that replace the bulbs in that kind of hood, the smaller the wattage the bulbs are slightly smaller in dia and cir. The best I can do is give you some measurements and info:

diameter(dia) is a line straight through the "circle" or bulb
Circumference(cir) is the distance around the bulb,

wrap a string around the outside of your current bulb and mark it or hold with your finger where it meets, then measure the string. Take that cir and divide it by 3.14159 to give you the dia. Then you have 1/2" extra to play with, which is only 1 side of the bulb, so add 1" to the dia you came up with, then multiply that by 3.14159. Now you have the largest cir bulb that will fit, so take a string with you to the store and wrap around the bulb, and see if it will fit or not. You also may have to take into consideration the clearance on the other side of the bulb, not sure if its just open there or if it has clear plastic between the bulbs and the tank?

Formula's:
pi(3.14159)x dia=cir
cir/Pi=dia

The previous 4" measurement that you gave is the circumference, so the dia would be(4/3.14159)=~1.27", then adding 1/2" to each side for clearance would be a dia of 2.27", cir would be 2.27x3.14159=7.1" so it may not fit with the 23w bulb, may have to check the 13w bulbs

So the 23w bulbs I have are ~7.5" in cir(distance around the bulb) which =(7.5/3.14158=)~2.39" dia, it may be closer to 2.25" dia due to my loose measurements, and the smaller bulbs should be slightly smaller in dia and cir

The 13w(60w) bulbs may still be a tight fit in the one hood? The "U-shaped" bulbs are smaller in dia and cir so that may be the only option for that one hood? Hard to say

Last edited:
The 4 pack of bulbs are in a box, I opened it up in the store and looked at them

Dottie its hard for me to guesstimate on the fitment, if I had it in hand I could tell you with certainty. They should fit from others that replace the bulbs in that kind of hood, the smaller the wattage the bulbs are slightly smaller in dia and cir. The best I can do is give you some measurements and info:

diameter(dia) is a line straight through the "circle" or bulb
Circumfrence(cir) is the distance around the bulb,

wrap a string around the outside of your current bulb and mark it or hold with your finger where it meets, then measure the string. Take that cir and divide it by 3.14159 to give you the dia. Then you have 1/2" extra to play with, which is only 1 side of the bulb, so add 1" to the dia you came up with, then multiply that by 3.14159. Now you have the largest cir bulb that will fit, so take a string with you to the store and wrap around the bulb, and see if it will fit or not.

Formula's:
pi(3.14159)xdia=cir
cir/Pi=dia

So the 23w bulbs I have are ~7.5" in cir(distance around the bulb) which =(7.5/3.14158=)~2.39" dia, it may be closer to 2.25" dia due to my loose measurements, and the smaller bulbs should be slightly smaller in dia and cir

The 13w(60w) bulbs may still be a tight fit in the one hood? The "U-shaped" bulbs are smaller in dia and cir so that may be the only option for that one hood? Hard to say
Matt, I have to laugh because I was never good at math in school. But when I measure the circumfirence of the bulbs I get 4". I did the math equation like you mentioned but I am not sure I did it right. Will you calculate it and see what you come up with? :oops:

Its in the post above, I edited it. Just double check your previous measurements, try to be somewhat precise but error on the side of caution(measure twice and cut once as they say)

Also I swear many people in this hobby are scientists according to all the research they do

Oh I edited it again because I was off slightly

From my calculations I think at least the 13w bulb should fit, but again I would suggest taking the hood in with you. I have done stuff like this many times, and after the strange looks from people its fine and then it eliminates the gas $ and guessing

Its in the post above, I edited it. Just double check your previous measurements, try to be somewhat precise but error on the side of caution(measure twice and cut once as they say)

Also I swear many people in this hobby are scientists according to all the research they do

Oh I edited it again because I was off slightly

From my calculations I think at least the 13w bulb should fit, but again I would suggest taking the hood in with you. I have done stuff like this many times, and after the strange looks from people its fine and then it eliminates the gas $ and guessing

Lol! I had on my shopping list the 13W. I will be sure and take the hood in also, though! Thanks so much Matt!!

yeah thats the singles, I guess they just put them on sale as they were $5 each, so this 4 pack for $10 was a better deal(not so much anymore, unless you need more bulbs) But since its kinda out of your way having a replacement for when/if one dies would be good

heres the same bulb just the 4 pack box
Daylight 60 Light Bulb | Feit Electric | Walgreens

I would take your hood with you to check fittment

Also I was just at walmart yesterday and they have some 10w U-shaped bulbs in the fish section that will deff fit your hood as they are skinny, they are $5 each(Lights Of America brand)

Good luck

Hey...thanks Matt! I did get two of the Feit bulbs and put in the hood of my 10g planted/shrimp tank. They are working well so far....no problems! I need to get some for my other tank now. Maybe I will check out those at Walmart!

I had 50W total of regular bulbs on my 10 gallon setups and could grow medium to high light light plants just fine. They really made the water heat up...worked too well.

Back
Top Bottom