Light Fixture Comparison. Need Experienced Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoubleA

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've narrowed down my options to 2 light fixtures to get my new planted 55 gallon freshwater up and running. I'm looking for some hints/suggestions on these from more experienced planted tank people! Which one do you think would work better? I'm not currently running any co2 or anything else like that, just trying to get some proper lighting first.
*I know I'll need to swap out the blue actinic bulbs that come with these for something a little more freshwater plant friendly.

So I'm taking bulb replacement suggestions as well!

Thank you :)

Coralife Lunar Aqualight High Output T5 Quad Lamp Fixture

• Quick disconnect ballasts and cooling fan
  • Adjustable mounting brackets
  • Acrylic splash guard
  • Powder coated aluminum housing
  • Includes 2 each 10,000K and Actinic

vs.

Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting Fixture

• Includes 10,000K and Actinic lamps
  • Separate power cords for individual control of daylight, actinic and LED lights
  • Quick disconnect ballasts and cooling fan
  • Adjustable mounting brackets included
  • Powder-coated aluminum housing and acrylic splash guard

The compact is a little more expensive, no biggy. It comes with some extra options like the individual power cords which seem appealing... any real difference in performance?

What exactly are you wanting to do? Low/medium light low tech, high tech, etc?

Honestly, I'm surprised you can find PC lights still on the market for full sized tanks as T5s pretty much outclass them in every possible way. The other fixture is going to be too much light without co2.

Well, I'd like to keep it fairly simple as I don't have a huge budget for equipment. I just want to be able to give some plants enough light to keep them healthy. I'm thinking I'll need low-medium lighting? My 55 is a standard (20.25" high). I have some type of grass, some amazon swords, and java moss.

And I'm guessing by too much light without co2 would mean I'll have a huge algae problem if I use that fixture? What about running only 2 bulbs or swapping for smaller bulbs? Would it at least be a decent investment until I can get together an adequate co2 system? And do you mean I shouldn't bother with the PC setup? Thanks for helping me on my thread!

HEY, we're both in Colorado! :D

Maybe this one?

Amazon.com: Coralife 05620 Aqualight T5 Freshwater Dual Lamp Fixture, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies

Or swap for lower wattage lamps?

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-80412-Output-Fluorescent-31-Watt/dp/B002VB98UE/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

All the different fixtures and options has given me a bit of a headache...

Basically I want these options:

- 48"
- T5
- Moderate lighting (I'm guessing around 100-125w for a 55gal?)
- Dual Lamp (Unless a quad lamp for some reason would be better?)
- I don't need "Lunar" LED's included.
- Multiple power cables/switches would be preferred
- Don't need a built-in timer
- Doesn't need to come with bulbs

Does this narrow my search any?

It would be quite easy to get a 2xT5HO fixture and a decent CO2 setup for the $300 that the PC fixture would have ran you. They also need new bulbs every 6 months, eat more electricity, and run hot. They're just not good anymore.

Without a specific plan, it's hard to recommend a good light. That being said, it's super simple to reduce light but impossible to increase light, so you can shoot higher than you might need if you want to. There are a number of T5HO fixtures, but as far as recommending a particular one, that depends on your budget.

Back
Top Bottom