Light for a 29 that will give me low/moderate light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bribo12

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm staring at my 29 gallon and the fake plants bore the heck outta me. What's an affordable LED that could grow plants like ludwigia, rotala, dwarf sag, crypts, hornwort/moneywort?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd check out the current USA fixture. The new one can be adjusted for different Kelvin temperatures for the plants and have build in timers.

What's your budget? You want to stick with low light or are you considering moderate to high light?

What's your budget? You want to stick with low light or are you considering moderate to high light?

Oh geez uh $100ish? I already have a super high tech reef which is my money pit. I could do moderate but definitely not high

I like the fluval LED Plant lights. They are spendy, but Petco is about to discontinue them so they are on sale for like 80 bucks vs the usual 180. Thats 100 bucks off. I bought two, but I think 1 is enough. With two I am getting BBA and I hate it. Now I am back down to one and will save the 2nd for back up or...............maybe another tank, lol.

As much as I like the Current Sat+, it'll be low light on that tank.. you'll need two of them achieve moderate light. The ability to dim and control color is an awesome feature, however. A single Sat+ "Pro" may do the trick but would exceed the budget. So I'd probably go with a 30" Finnex Planted+. I agree that the Fluval LED is also effective and wouldn't be so bad of an option, either.

As much as I like the Current Sat+, it'll be low light on that tank.. you'll need two of them achieve moderate light. The ability to dim and control color is an awesome feature, however. A single Sat+ "Pro" may do the trick but would exceed the budget. So I'd probably go with a 30" Finnex Planted+. I agree that the Fluval LED is also effective and wouldn't be so bad of an option, either.

Yeah I have the controllability to do that with my kessil on my reef tank and it is sweet. I'll have to see what the budget allows and what I'm willing to do as far as planting it goes. I'll checkout the fluval lights and the ones you mentioned.

Edit: would the finnex give me low-moderate light?

I think it'll be around moderate. But if you're not in a rush, Finnex should be releasing their new 24/7 fixture. Maybe by next month.

Hmm maybe I'll just wait then. I'm definitely not in any sort of rush.

Here's a couple of interesting links. I might get a sample unit of the 24/7 shortly, so I'll post reviews soon ;)

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Automation on a 125 gallon aquarium: http://youtu.be/sw05kEdgBh4

http://aquathusiast.com/news/finnex-announces-planted-ii-finnex-247-planted-elite/

+1 the 24/7 is allegedly in the same price point as the planted plus. A planted plus will definitely do the trick in a pinch though. If you like fancy stuff with different colors a sat pro would be perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool if it's gonna be around the same price I'll definitely wait for that. I love the features

Thanks Brian. I'll check it out. I have another question. If I'm replacing my gravel bottom should I use something like fluorite or could I just do sand?

C'mon freshies!!! Fluorite vs sand? Or something else??? I'll go back to my sw corner now :(

Sorry.. My opinion, if you are for sure staying low light, then sand is fine (with your occasional strategic placement of root tabs). Otherwise, I'd go with a plant specific substrate that's versatile in terms of being there for you in case you catch the 'Planted tank' bug and want to increase lighting and try more light needy plants. It's such a pain to swap substrate after the fact. So with that said, I vote to go for Eco Complete.

Sorry.. My opinion, if you are for sure staying low light, then sand is fine (with your occasional strategic placement of root tabs). Otherwise, I'd go with a plant specific substrate that's versatile in terms of being there for you in case you catch the 'Planted tank' bug and want to increase lighting and try more light needy plants. It's such a pain to swap substrate after the fact. So with that said, I vote to go for Eco Complete.

Thanks. I'll have to think about it as I'm probably moving in the next couple months anyway. I already have the reef tank bug lol. Idk if the wallet can take the planted tank bug

Light came today! Here's the new fts, picked up a couple crypts, a ludwigia sp. maybe? And some wisteria
KZKsjiE.jpg
FrCMnUj.jpg

Looks nice, very natural, makes me wish I tried a substrate like that. Careful though, I hear these planted tanks can quickly rival reef tanks in time and money :p

Looks nice, very natural, makes me wish I tried a substrate like that. Careful though, I hear these planted tanks can quickly rival reef tanks in time and money :p

Thanks bigred and nothing will ever compete with the reef :)

Back
Top Bottom