Light for just a few plants..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal tank which has a standard hood with one 20 watt flourescent bulb. The would like to put 3 or 4 live plants in the tank. Nothing fancy. Problem is with 29 gallons and only 20 watts, I fall short of the 2 watts per gallon. I did buy a bulb which states its for plants. What can I do to ensure I have enough light without buying a new hood?

IMHO, you don't need more then you have right now to grow some plants. Look for these plants, and they will do okey with that light: Hornwort, wysteria, waterweed and Java fern.
Look at my gallery, there are some pics of my tanks. I have a 29 gal with only 18W. Look at that pic, and it'll be clear that you can keep plants with low light!!!

Good luck!

Welcome to AA!!!!
:wave:

I second Billsgate's suggestions. You might also check out Anubias. They are slow growers in any case and seem to do best under low lights.

It's a keyhole cichlid, I'm working on a profile about them. When I'm done it has to be read by the advisors and when approved, you can read it in the FW fish profile-section.

In the meantime, if your interested, look them up on the internet! They're nice fishies, although a bit shy.

Back
Top Bottom