Light Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, was using an old ge floresent got from my brother and was easily more than 10 years old but prob not more than a year of use light says "aqua rays fresh and saltwater f20wt12-ar-fs 20w. was a nice looking bright light but, i decided since it was old it might be a good idea to get a new one. So found a light at walmart also a ge it says "plant & aquarium ecolux f20t12-pl/aq-eco wide spectrum 20w". i do have some live plants and thats important to me. The new light looks comperitivly yellow and not as bright. The box says good for aquatic life and plants so i guess i shouldn't be worried but the other light seemed brighter. Although my wife says that the new one is easier on the eyes. Does any one know about these lights? Does brighter not nessisarily mean better? Would the fish have better color in the bright light?

It all depends on what the kelvin rating of the bulb is. Plants only use light in the 6500-10,000k range. I have some of walmarts GE bulbs, but they're just the daylight bulbs that you find in the bulb isle. They're a nice white light, not yellow or pink. I've also got some phillips daylight bulbs from home depot.

Can I compute Kelvin?

Thnks so much for the help all i get from the box is 750 lumens 20watts 9000 hours & 90 cri I guess its a dumb question but how could I find out about kelvin out put

put the bulb you like better on the tank. if it's not on the bulb, you aren't going to know what color temp it is. fish only need light to eat. they don't care.

put the bulb you like better on the tank. if it's not on the bulb, you aren't going to know what color temp it is. fish only need light to eat. they don't care.
Fish dont care, but plants sure do ;)

Thnks so much for the help all i get from the box is 750 lumens 20watts 9000 hours & 90 cri I guess its a dumb question but how could I find out about kelvin out put
You cant calculate it. It is the color temperature of the light. Chances are, if it was sold as a plant and aquarium bulb, its in the correct range, but if you dont like the yellow color to it, go to walmart, get one of the household bulbs. There will be two to choose from. One will say warmer light, one will say cooler light. go for the cooler light, its a nice crisp white light, and my plants do great with those bulbs

just take it back. go for a daylight bulb cheaper and look better. you might have to go to home depot / lowes though.

Back
Top Bottom