Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
Starting a planted tank. Have 30 gallon 24x12x24 tank. Any suggestions for lighting.

Well, given that you have a tank that's as tall as it is long, you're probably going to want to do CFLs, T5HOs or LEDs.

T8 and T12 light just isn't going to reach that far down into the water... Though it also does depend on the plants you intend on having. What kind are you getting? If they stick up toward the top a lot, or float at the surface, then you'd probably be fine with a regular T12 fixture.

What are your goals for this tank?

My recommendations:
Low-light: two or three 24W CFLs
Med-light: 2x24W T5HO or Marineland Double Bright LED
High-light: 4x24 T5HO or Marineland Reef Bright LED

I'd stay away from T12s as they're old technology and are supposed to be banned in a couple years due to inefficiency. If you're a DIY person, you can do LED relatively cheaply.

I was leaning toward T5HO lighting, any model or brand suggestions in this group?

Thanks for the info... I will show my ignorance now, what is DYI?

DIY = Do It Yourself

Hagen Glo and Nova Extreme T5HO fixtures get pretty good reviews. Be aware that if you lean towards a high-light tank that you'll need to dose ferts and inject CO2.

Whatever you do, don't get ZooMed. The fixture I got was damaged, and I actually had to take the whole thing apart to get it put together right. Worse yet, the sides wouldn't go on right due to improperly sized sheet metal guards on either side of the light fixture inside the body.

And the cord was stupidly short, and the stand that mounted on the tank wouldn't work with a canopy of any sort.

Thanks for all the help..... I am looking to just basically have a planted tank, no fish for now. I am looking to start with some easy to grow varieties to start. Swords etc.. I am going to look into the Nova Extreme T5HO

Current fixtures are good, but tend to be a little more expensive (quality stuff is usually a little expensive). You won't go wrong with one though. I use fishneedit fixtures (www.fishneedit.com). They're cheap but also good quality. I've only had mine for 2 months, but I love them (i have 3). Just another option to look in to.

Back
Top Bottom