lighting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could try floramax flouresents,if not you may be loooking at upgrading to t5's..also its the exact setup I started with&i recently went to the 75g..

Moved to Planted Tanks forum.

I kept a lot of plants, including swords, in my 55g with a simple 2 bulb shop light over the tank. It cost me $8 at walmart and another $5 for the bulbs. The lights that come with that kit aren't going to do much... they might keep java fern, anubias, and java moss alive... but that's about it.

I'd just save up and get the 2x54w oddysea fixture on ebay, I think its like 65 dollars shipped. Not the best fixture ever, but it will let you grow most plants and it's really cheap. Only downside is you won't be able to keep the hood (I think, anyway).

I'd just save up and get the 2x54w oddysea fixture on ebay, I think its like 65 dollars shipped. Not the best fixture ever, but it will let you grow most plants and it's really cheap. Only downside is you won't be able to keep the hood (I think, anyway).

The crappiness of the odyssea fixtures is advantageous in this case, as a decent T5HO setup would be more light than you need. Considering the plants you're looking at, you really don't need that much light.

I just ordered Aqueon Coralife 05619 Aqualight T5 Freshwater Dual Lamp Fixture from Amazon for my 36 inch long tank after MUCH debate. Looks like we want to grow similar stuff, so 48 inch version may be good fairly low cost option for you too.

Back
Top Bottom