lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishnewbe420

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have a hand full of low light plants and I just got a timer for the lights becouse I know I leave them on to much as is. But I don't know how long to have them on for. Is an 8 to 8 to long??

I have mine on 4 hours then off for 3 hours then back on for another 5 hours I have never had trouble at all

Mine stays on sometimes 14+ hours... oops.... Everything was fine though. I leave mine on at least 12 hours usually.

I would not try to mimic nature as far as photoperiod goes, sunrise-sunset is way too long unless you don't care about having the tank covered in algae. Shoot for 8 hours, 10 at the most.

IMO I usually leave my lights on average around 8 hours a day, sometimes 5 hours, others 10 hours, sometimes none at all, and the plants are still fine.

jetajockey said:
I would not try to mimic nature as far as photoperiod goes, sunrise-sunset is way too long unless you don't care about having the tank covered in algae. Shoot for 8 hours, 10 at the most.

I don't know where your from but we get around 10 hrs of day light here

Ok right on anyways I go around 8-10 hrs depending on the tank only had an algea problem in one that I am still battling I say trial and error might be your best bet

Mine usually stay on close to 14 hours.... If Im up (or my family) we like to see the fish lol The one tank has fast algae growth but not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom