Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lights you picked out are actually plenty good to grow a variety of other plants. Since you shop at walmart for some things you may want to try a bag of the mixed plant bulbs they often carry in the fish section. Your tank would likely grow crypts pretty well as long as you pick up a box of root tabs. You should be able to find them both at a LFS, petco or petsmart. If they're in a tube the leaves will likely die off but new healthy ones should grow in their place.

I'm hoping for an outbreak of java ferns and anubia in my tank to make it look more natural, is that good, I planning to tie them to mopani wood, They don't need ferts, right?

Java fern "outbreak"? :ROFLMAO:

Java Ferns, in my experience, though easy to grow, are not the fastest growing plants, even in high-tech tanks. They do grow into dense "forests" if you let them, all connected by a big runner that you can divide and spread.

You can tie them to the wood (they will eventually put down enough "anchors" that they won't need to stay "tied".

I have also found that they will grow in the substrate as long as you don't burry the "root" deeply. In fact, you say you will have "large gravel-size" substrate - java ferns will like that.

After the java ferns are anchored should I leave the tied knot on it and here's the gravel.

Attachments

• image-2225653672.jpg
    image-2225653672.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 34
Easiest way to deal with Java Fern, or any plant that needs to be attached to something, is to use super glue gel. Heck of a lot simpler than trying to tie string around them.

Easiest way to deal with Java Fern, or any plant that needs to be attached to something, is to use super glue gel. Heck of a lot simpler than trying to tie string around them.

I"ve never used super glue to anchor plants, though have heard it works. If anchoring to wood, regular driftwood would be a problem - as it would have to be dry for the superglue to even think about sticking (superglue has a reputation for not sticking to wood and other porous surfaces). Dry driftwood doesn't like to sink at all - so must either itself be attached to a heavy rock, or be otherwise anchored. Mopani wood usually is heavy enough to sink, even when dry.

Was the pickle jar closes, was the plant fliatubg, and did you use tank water?

Trying to sort through that question:

pickle jar was kept full to the very top with water, but no lid. Used tank water initially, but used tap water to just keep it topped off.

I think you asked if the plants were floating - they were just stuffed down into the jar. some of the "roots" (Java Ferns don't actually feed through roots - just anchor themselves with them) still had scattered sand in them from the tanks.

What are the bad effects of tying a plant to mopani wood instead of usin super glue. Im tryin I compare for the best of my plants. Thanks.

Super glue does nothing to the water. It does not leach chemicals after it cures. It actually holds quite well to wood, well enough anyway. The wood or rock doesn't even have to be completely dry, just take a paper towel to it so it's not dripping wet. Use the GEL type though, the regular runny stuff doesn't work so well, it does work though but takes longer to cure and if you use too much it seems like it never dries.

Don't over do the light! it can burn your java ferns. when you perchase them and introduce them into your tank they may get black spots and some leaves may fall off. Don't worry they are acclimating to your tank. I have some small java ferns for sale if you want cheap small ones.

I can vouch for Pet-smarts Java Ferns, I have got them and they do well.
Also you can anchor Java fern to about anything. And they like liquid fertilizer the best dosed once every 1-2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom