Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got a 34 gallon tank that I plan to make all love plants, the tank came with a 17 watt T8 full spectrum light, would I be able to use this or do I need a higher watt light? I was planning on using mostly low light plants like anacharis, water wisteria, Anubias things like that so would this work?

You will need a new light. That same light came with a tank I have, can't grow a thing except algae. I tried anacharis and it just slowly melted away until it was nothing.

If only growing low lighters like java ferns anubias and java moss (ive said these alot in the last few days)youll be pushing it but you many be able to get away with it. But a stronger light may be a better idea. 0.5watt per gallon is definitely lacking.

Last edited:
You will need a completely new fixture like a High output LED or a T5HO.

Would I be able to just add a second bulb of the same size or is that just as useless as having one?

You will need a completely new fixture like a High output LED or a T5HO.

I wouldnt go to that extent as we're talking low lighters.

Would I be able to just add a second bulb of the same size or is that just as useless as having one?

Well it would be better than 1! But how much is it going to cost to fit a second in comparison to buying a better light?

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure haha I haven't looked at prices yet I'm just brainstorming, I'm going to my LFS tomorrow so I'm sure i can just talk to the people there and they will know what to do but I at least want an idea of what would be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom