Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have done some searching about possible lights for my 55 gal planted tank, however, I am still unsure about whats best, or what options are still out there I haven't found. Im trying not to spend $300 on a lighting system.

Thanks for all the help!

I have done some searching about possible lights for my 55 gal planted tank, however, I am still unsure about whats best, or what options are still out there I haven't found. Im trying not to spend $300 on a lighting system.

Thanks for all the help!

What are you wanting to plant?

Id like to spend around $200. I was just told to checkout the Finnex Planted+, however now that I look at it the 48" model (the length of my tank) only gives out 35.6 total watts. In all the reading I have done, Ive seen 2-3 watts per gallon, which would mean roughly 110-165 watts are needed.

I would like to plant some dwarf baby tears, some java ferns and maybe another background plant or two like some tall grass or another leafy green.

When it comes to LEDs and T5HO, WPG is irrelevant. LEDs are far more efficient and put out higher lumens with less watts than conventional lighting. T5HO's can vary based on reflector quality and type.

The updated way we estimate our lighting is with PAR (photosynthetic active radiation). PAR is greatly affected by distance. So you'd just have to research the PAR vs. Distance from light source to substrate. Low light is > 30 PAR, medium is 30 to 80, high is < 80.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

I'm not too sure on the PAR for the planted+ but I'm pretty sure it'll grow dwarf baby tears as all that plant needs is about 35+ PAR. What's more crucial to the success of growing HC is a good carbon source like co2 or glut. Not to mention, a good fertilizer regimen.

Last edited:
What Brian said!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

T5HO is still a viable option, but you'll go through the headache and added cost of swapping bulbs annually. On top of that, Odyssea is considered mediocre at best due to the reflector quality. IMO, you're better off with the Finnex Planted+, even if it means waiting a bit to save some extra $$$.

T5HO is still a viable option, but you'll go through the headache and added cost of swapping bulbs annually. On top of that, Odyssea is considered mediocre at best due to the reflector quality. IMO, you're better off with the Finnex Planted+, even if it means waiting a bit to save some extra $$$.

Thanks! I think ive decided on the Finnex Planted +

Back
Top Bottom