Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't have enough lighting for the plants in my tank. At least I don't feel I do. I was wondering if getting a shop light for my 46 bow front and running two t8 daylight spectrum 6500k fluorescent bulbs would help increase the lighting in my tank. The 2, single row, led bars that came with the tank just isn't cutting it.

Will the light even make it to the bottom of the tank? Or will it be a cheap upgrade for short time

I'm gonna have those combined with my led lights and hopefully it's not too much light.

Nah, you're going to need something with a little power to get that thing lit properly. Any money in the mattress? Beamsworks are cheap option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not that my plants are struggling, I'm just limited on options

It's not that my plants are struggling, I'm just limited on options

So you want high light plants? Your going to need 8-10x tank turnover and pressurised co2 before u worry about lighting

I have 2 ac70s in a 46 bowfront. I think that will be good enough. I have a pressurized co2 system. It's just not set up because I haven't had the lighting

I have 2 ac70s in a 46 bowfront. I think that will be good enough. I have a pressurized co2 system. It's just not set up because I haven't had the lighting

What kind of system? A paintball or bigger?

Well if you want to switch to high light go with a finnex 24/7 or something like that

Are the diy builds any cheaper? If I don't have to spend $125 that would be ideal

What's the best co2 system for a 46 then? If money wasn't an issue which system would you buy and then what's the best cost efficient system?

I wanted to do t5s. Would coralife be a good brand?

What's the best co2 system for a 46 then? If money wasn't an issue which system would you buy and then what's the best cost efficient system?

I wanted to do t5s. Would coralife be a good brand?

I don't think the brand matters to much for t5 tubes. Make sure you get "HO"'s tho as they are stronger.

As for co2 I'd say best is a GLA regulator with a 2.6kg or larger bottle. Running an inline diffuser or DIY reactor

Sorry for all the questions as I'm new to the high tech realm.

What's the ball park on price for a decent co2 system? You can find the kits online for like $20 but idk how good they are.

My LFS is closing down and going to sell me a 36 inch with 2 t5 lights for $30

Sorry for all the questions as I'm new to the high tech realm.

What's the ball park on price for a decent co2 system? You can find the kits online for like $20 but idk how good they are.

When it fines to co2 you get what you pay for. Most gla systems will cost over $200 and the bottle will be around $100.

You want your lights to stretch the full length of your aqarium or your plants will twist/ lean to the light

A cheaper alternative is a beamworks LED or a series chihrios fixture.

A paintball rig is perfectly capable of funding your tank with co2. I would lean towards leds but if you can get a bunch of tubes with that t5 rig than its well worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My LFS is closing down and going to sell me a 36 inch with 2 t5 lights for $30

Is this fixture an HO (high output) or NO (normal output)?
I bought a 30" dual NO T5 for a shallower tank (12") and really could not grow the plants I had (mostly stem plants, broadleaf chainsword, and dwarf sag. A 46 BF is much deeper. Granted, I was not using CO2 or any carbon source at the time. The Finnex fugeray was a step up for that tank at the time.
If you could get the 24/7 then that would be a good move. On Amazon there is a 24/7 knockoff for much less. I think it's called vivagrow.

I picked up an AquaTek Premium regulator for about $90. This spring it will be 3 years. Not a bad starter reg.

Back
Top Bottom