Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
when i bought my 55 gallon tank used it came with a full strip light(48inches) and the bulb is standard one bulb. in the tank i have some very colorfull rainbows. to extentuate the colors of my rainbows what type of light will i need? im thinkign higher K, into the blues correct? i know that mid K is a yellowish but the fish are orangeish and blueish so i wnat to bring them out a lot. what bulbs at HD or somewhere else will do this and what should i look for in them?

thanks

u wont find a bulb at home depot with a high k rating.u will actually need to buy an aquarium bulb. i love my powerglo bulbs which give off a purplish blue light and are 10 000 k. a little pricy but u will notice an HUGE difference in colour.

you don't need a fancy aquarium bulb.

however you do need to find a fluorescent bulb that states it's a Daylight bulb. Anything 'soft' is gonna have that ugly yellow tinge. Daylight bulbs will be closer to true white light, and a little better for plants too.

Phillips and Sylvania both make nicely priced daylight bulbs. I think I get them for under $7 at Ace Hardware for a 2ft t-12 20watt bulb.

yes u can get the daylight bulbs which are great for plants but they are not very good for colour. to get the colour u need a higher k rating which i have never seen more than 6500 in places like home hardware. but if u find one please tell us who makes it because alot of people would appreciate that.

I like the daylight bulbs.. GE's daylight bulbs have a whitish/blue color to them.. I got them at wallyworld (from lack of decent retail around here :( )

Back
Top Bottom