Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2002, 11:05 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Planted tank lighting

Just an additional thought, since the use of PC lighting was mentioned. Bear in mind that if you get the lighting much over the 2-3 watt per gallon level, you may find that C02 injection is needed to maintain the needed C02 levels in the tank. If you start to see white deposits on the leaves, especially with Val, this is biogenic decalcification. The plant is splitting carbonates to get the required C02. If I remember correctly, carbonic acid is the byproduct of this which can wreak havoc with your PH.
Logan J

Old 10-27-2002, 11:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would definetly put the third bulb in now. My wifes 29 gal. plant tank is using three 20 watt Tritons. Less then two watts per gallon limits your plant selection. I am going to upgrade it to a PC next year.
Also think about using some sort of CO2 unit in your plant tank They range from Expensive to inexpensive. Depends on how high tech. you want to go.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 12:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Re: Planted tank lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganj
If you start to see white deposits on the leaves, especially with Val, this is biogenic decalcification. The plant is splitting carbonates to get the required C02. If I remember correctly, carbonic acid is the byproduct of this which can wreak havoc with your PH.
Logan J
Carbonic acid is produced when co2 reacts with water. This is what lowers the pH when co2 is injected.

AFAIK, biogenic decalcification has nothing to do with carbonates.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:03 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Re: Planted tank lighting

Quote:
AFAIK, biogenic decalcification has nothing to do with carbonates

When biogenic decalcification takes place, the plants decompose the hydrogen carbonates into C02 and carbonates causing the pH to rise. The white deposits on the leaves of the plants are the mostly insoluble carbonates that are left over from this process. When photosynthesis ceases at night, the C02 levels rise forming carbonic acid which reconstitutes the hydrogen carbonates and carbonates resulting in a drop in pH.
This may not even apply in this case though. I think what has to be done is to get the C02 regulated so that there are not large swings in the pH due to rise and fall of C02 concentrations. IMHO, the way to do this is to cut off the C02 at night. This would have to be done manually with the yeast reactors I think. I also think that some experimentation will be required to get the right size and number of yeast reactors to keep the C02 within acceptable parameters. Bear in mind also that the C02 output of the yeast reactors may vary somewhat and will decline as the fuel is used up. Again, IMO, the airstones at night will contribute to the large variance in C02 concentrations and cause pH problems. I admit that I do not have a lot of practical experience with planted tanks and that the preceding is mostly based on a lot of research on water chemistry.
Logan J
Old 11-04-2002, 01:15 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I'm a dummy

Boy do I ever feel stupid now! I got this thread confused with another one and went off on a tangent that didn't even apply here. Sorry for the mix up! Will try to be more careful in the future.
Logan J

Tags
light, lighting, plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com