Lighting Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george512

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. Firstly - great forum, been lurking for a few weeks now and referring to the great fishless cycling articles.

I have a quick query with lighting that I haven't been able to answer through countless Googling. Hopefully someone could kindly help me.

My tank is a 65L Superfish Aqua. It is moderately planted. It has a 24 watt "Tropical Duo" (blue and white lights), compact light fitment. I believe it is a PLL, 4pin fitment. It also has a 24W Hailea ballast. You can view information about the current light tube here: link.

Obviously lighting is a concern and my plants are doing "fairly" well but I would like to rule out insufficient lighting. I am aware that I can't just bolt any light to the tank so I'm checking out my options.

Could someone kindly advise me on the following?

1. Your thoughts on the above "tropical duo" light? Good enough for plants? Worth upgrading at all?
  2. What are my upgrade options? Can I just replace with any PLL/24W/4-pin tube?
  3. I have found this tube, supposedly good for plants. It appears to be the same fitment. It is the same wattage at 24, but different lighting temperature by the looks of it. If this would fit, is it a good upgrade?

Thank you to anyone who can advise! Have a great day :)

As long as it's the same type of bulb, that would be a better bulb than you have. The one you have has a blue bulb, actinic, which is for SW tanks, doesn't do anything for a planted FW tank. And you have half the light with the actinic, where you would double your lighting for the plants with the new bulb.

Thanks for the reply. That makes perfect sense to me and I'd be happy to order it.

So, they are both 24W, PLL tubes with 4 pins. The million dollar question is: will the new one fit?

Personally I can't see why not since a tube is a tube but its worth checking I guess...

Thank you I will go ahead and order that light.

One more thing, regarding reflectors. Am I able to / is it wise to fit some form of reflection device or material "behind" the tube in my compact light fixture?

Back
Top Bottom