lighting and nutritional info for my 36g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased my 36g tank from petsmart almsot 3 months ago (petsmart and petco only stores in the area) it is 19" deep. the stock light is an Aqueon 17W 24" fluorescent full spectrum light. The tank does get some diffuse daylight during the morning, nothing directly into the tank.

Is this enough or what light would you suggest?
I have anubius and java fern planted in it. I add brightwell FlorinMulti once a week.

Honestly I doubt it's enough light to grow even java fern and anubias. They might live but probably won't grow much. A 17w 24" must be a t8 bulb. With t8s you want to shoot for at least 1 watt per gallon. If you could add two of those t8 bulbs that would be much better.

Ok I am asking nearly the same question. I have the same tank. It's a 36 bowfront with a 17watt aqueon bulb that is 24" long. My question is are there say, 40 watt bulbs that would fit my fixture or do I have to go out and buy another fixture? If so, how do I set it up and still keep my tank lid? Any DIY suggestions welcome. I would really like to keep the lid on my tank as I have cats...

Ok I am asking nearly the same question. I have the same tank. It's a 36 bowfront with a 17watt aqueon bulb that is 24" long. My question is are there say, 40 watt bulbs that would fit my fixture or do I have to go out and buy another fixture? If so, how do I set it up and still keep my tank lid? Any DIY suggestions welcome. I would really like to keep the lid on my tank as I have cats...

it sounds like we have the same tank, mine is a 36g bowfront I got at Petsmart, I have cats also.

I got mine off kijiji but all the equipment (lightbulb, heater, filter) are aqueon, which I believe to be the brand petsmart uses.

I switched the filter to something bigger. How do you like the tank? I rushed and put a bunch of cichlids in mine and now wish I had made it a planted community. I'm selling the cichlids if I can and then SLOWLY working on planting it.

Attachments

• image-4274993179.jpg
    image-4274993179.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3677866359.jpg
    image-3677866359.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3532997114.jpg
    image-3532997114.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 95

You can't just put a higher wattage bulb in I'm afraid. If you are a DIY kinda person AH supply makes PC retrofit kits that might fit in your existing light fixture. You would need to gut the current bulb and ballast out.

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

The reflectors that come with these kits are second to none. I highly recommend them.

I was wondering this question myself. I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank as well. I have Anubias and Java-fern in it now. I read up a bit on the lighting and I found that it def. needed more light. So I went and bought a dual fixture T5 HO light. So I have a colormax bulb and a 6,700K bulb<-- I think that one is for plants. But now I wonder if this is enough light and SHould I get rid of the colormax bulb and replace with another 6,700K bulb?

I was wondering this question myself. I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank as well. I have Anubias and Java-fern in it now. I read up a bit on the lighting and I found that it def. needed more light. So I went and bought a dual fixture T5 HO light. So I have a colormax bulb and a 6,700K bulb<-- I think that one is for plants. But now I wonder if this is enough light and SHould I get rid of the colormax bulb and replace with another 6,700K bulb?

One t5ho with a decent reflector is enough to grow most plants in a 36g tank. I suggest reading hoppys' par vs distance thread over on TPT

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

With 2 t5ho bulbs and assuming the light is near the water's surface you are possibly in the high light category. Again that is assuming you have decent reflectors.

Peyton said:
One t5ho with a decent reflector is enough to grow most plants in a 36g tank. I suggest reading hoppys' par vs distance thread over on TPT

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

With 2 t5ho bulbs and assuming the light is near the water's surface you are possibly in the high light category. Again that is assuming you have decent reflectors.

Assuming I read it correctly, I am around the middle in medium light. So I think I am doing alright. My reflector is like a mirror that wraps the entire inside of the hood.

Luna09 said:
I got mine off kijiji but all the equipment (lightbulb, heater, filter) are aqueon, which I believe to be the brand petsmart uses.

I switched the filter to something bigger. How do you like the tank? I rushed and put a bunch of cichlids in mine and now wish I had made it a planted community. I'm selling the cichlids if I can and then SLOWLY working on planting it.

That is a beautiful tank.

Dxbeast8508 said:
That is a beautiful tank.

Thank you :) there is so much I want to do with it!!
Currently I have a 20 gallon that is growing bacopa caroliniana, red tiger lotus, java fern, spiral Val, rotala wallichii, and an amazon sword. All I am using is a flora sun 18" 15 watt T8. I don't understand how I am having such success when everything I have read and heard points me to thinking my plants should be dead or not growing. I see visible growth every day. Any idea as to how I am making it work? Is there a reason I can't do the same with my 36 gallon??
So confused lol :/

Attachments

• image-1698863286.jpg
    image-1698863286.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2126910986.jpg
    image-2126910986.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image-4279673010.jpg
    image-4279673010.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3987132779.jpg
    image-3987132779.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 68
Currently I have a 20 gallon that is growing bacopa caroliniana, red tiger lotus, java fern, spiral Val, rotala wallichii, and an amazon sword. All I am using is a flora sun 18" 15 watt T8. I don't understand how I am having such success when everything I have read and heard points me to thinking my plants should be dead or not growing. I see visible growth every day. Any idea as to how I am making it work? Is there a reason I can't do the same with my 36 gallon??

You can give it a shot but you'll definitely want two bulbs. Is the 36 gallon taller than your 20h? Fluorescent lights, especially low output ones, don't penetrate deep tanks. Before T5s came out everybody used T8 lights and did just fine. We just used 2 or 3 bulbs to get better results on taller or deeper tanks. It certainly will work with normal T8s. I grew plants for years with them.

You may have other problems with your 36, though.

I can't argue with those results on the 20g. Every tank is different though. I would still recommend at least two t8s on the 36g at a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom