Lighting and plant question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U can probably also fix in 24 hrs but it is a pain in the butt. Since u got city water.

beernboots said:
U can probably also fix in 24 hrs but it is a pain in the butt. Since u got city water.

I really just want the uv sterilizer to work then I wouldn't have to mess with doing a bunch of water changes all together.

I recently had the algae bloom in my 75 gallon and a friend told me i should use oyster shells(empty and rinsed) to help kill the algae. little over three weeks later and the water is back to normal again, just reduced lights from 12 to 6 hours and did 25% water changes every few days. I dont know if this will help but your problem sounds a lot like what i ran into.

teeter1715 said:
I recently had the algae bloom in my 75 gallon and a friend told me i should use oyster shells(empty and rinsed) to help kill the algae. little over three weeks later and the water is back to normal again, just reduced lights from 12 to 6 hours and did 25% water changes every few days. I dont know if this will help but your problem sounds a lot like what i ran into.

Wow, never heard of that. If it comes down to I'm going to try anything other than chemicals. Thanks.

Right now I am leaving the uv running and I am doing a 48 hour black out. Then I am going to do a 50% water change and do another 48 hour blackout. Maybe I can clear it up some. I am dissapointed in the uv sterilizer though. I thought it would do something to help.

If the UV's not quite strong enough to kill it off outright it my still be enough to keep it from ever coming back once you manage to finally clear it up. This really is a nasty outbreak. :(

CorallineAlgae said:
If the UV's not quite strong enough to kill it off outright it my still be enough to keep it from ever coming back once you manage to finally clear it up. This really is a nasty outbreak. :(

I got the 9 watt one. I have 36 gallon tank. Do you think if I got the 24 one it would work better? I might just go trade it in and let them know my tank isn't being cleared by it.

Dxbeast8508 said:
I got the 9 watt one. I have 36 gallon tank. Do you think if I got the 24 one it would work better? I might just go trade it in and let them know my tank isn't being cleared by it.

9 watts is low but it should be enough to keep it from returning once it's gone. Still, a more powerful model will definitely work better on green water and may even knock out free floating parasites.

CorallineAlgae said:
9 watts is low but it should be enough to keep it from returning once it's gone. Still, a more powerful model will definitely work better on green water and may even knock out free floating parasites.

What would suggest. I think I'm going to return the little one.

JesseMessykinn said:
IME Cutting back lighting from 8 stright hours a day to 2-4 Hour Shifts, stopped the green water within 2 days for me.

I will try it.

Dxbeast8508 said:
Thanks everyone for the advice, my water has cleared!!! :)

Sweet victory!
Did the UV do the trick after it had a chance to run for a few days or was it something else?

CorallineAlgae said:
Sweet victory!
Did the UV do the trick after it had a chance to run for a few days or was it something else?

Well I think it was a combination of water changes, uv and raising my lights a bit. Mainly the uv I think. Yes! Victory!

Dxbeast8508 said:
Well I think it was a combination of water changes, uv and raising my lights a bit. Mainly the uv I think. Yes! Victory!

Sooo good to hear it. With your new equipment I doubt you'll have that problem again.

CorallineAlgae said:
Sooo good to hear it. With your new equipment I doubt you'll have that problem again.

Yeah, I think the uv was a good investment. It keeps my water crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom