lighting and price...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way the ballast should look something like this in writing..

(4) F32T8, F25T8, F17T8 or FB32T8/U Electronic Ballast 120/277V
or
4-F32T8 12/277V (the rest of the information is usually understood...)

it will detect your 24 inch bulb as a 17 watt T-8 bulb and if you wire it with all the leads it will give you the desired 4X output.. It is advised to work your way up to the 4X by wiring it at.. 1X then 2X, 3X, then finaly 4X just to make sure you got your wiring right and that your getting the desired result..
I really hope this helps..
And again Im stoked!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Sweet! Thanks for the link.

I figure that I spent $37 on this full hood/bulb that's isn't up to par with my needs. The wife will not let me spend $80+ on "just a stupid light" (forgive her, she doesn't understand. She can't even keep simple terrestrial flowers alive).

I figure that I can easily scrape up $30-40 and tinker with it. I'm not an electrical engineer or anything, but I've worked with enough electronics (being a computer guru and an R/C aircraft flyer) that I feel I can do it. My only concern is that I'm working with a 29 gal and not the 55 gal referenced. I'll just have to keep my head on straight and make sure I get the right stuff. I suppose I'll be asking about CO2 in the near future if this works. :wink:

The electronic ballasts automaticly detect the size bulb you are using. thats what all the numbers and letters mean.. diffent length bulbs.. they all wire the same..
Good luck!!

FMJnaX said:
The wife will not let me spend $80+ on "just a stupid light" (forgive her, she doesn't understand. She can't even keep simple terrestrial flowers alive).

Hey! I can't keep terrestrial plants alive either...at least nothing potted. I over or under water them...not a problem with aquatics ;)

Start showing her some good planted tank photos...maybe she'll see the aesthetic quality it can add, and will authorize a fancy light purchase :)

Ok. I'm going to over drive a single 24" T12 (the "stock" bulb I have). If all goes well, I'll OD two GE Aquarium & Plant bulbs (T12's I think?). I should get between 35 and 40W. This will give me between 1.2 and 1.38WPG. Is this enough for my low/mid-light plants like Anacharis, Moneywort, Java Fern, and Anubias? What is this new figure considered? Low, Moderate, High, etc?

Thanks!

malkore said:
FMJnaX said:
The wife will not let me spend $80+ on "just a stupid light" (forgive her, she doesn't understand. She can't even keep simple terrestrial flowers alive).

Hey! I can't keep terrestrial plants alive either...at least nothing potted. I over or under water them...not a problem with aquatics ;)

Start showing her some good planted tank photos...maybe she'll see the aesthetic quality it can add, and will authorize a fancy light purchase :)

Good idea.... and father's day is just around the corner. ;) I'm still going to overdrive though. It sounds like fun.

Personal question here on lights.

I recently acquired a 15+ year old 36" striplight with a 30 gallon tank (neither have been used in that period of time). The striplight is as old as the tank. I've checked the integrity of the tank, and it seems alright. No leaks so far as I can tell. As for the striplight, the switch and everything still works. I will replace the old fluorescent bulb with a new one after I complete my move.

So in a round about way, I guess what I want to know is: Are the old ballasts safe to use? I wasn't into fish keeping till last year and I don't know much about old equipment. Will this be safe to use, or should I just go ahead and invest in a new striplight?

FMJnaX said:
Ok. I'm going to over drive a single 24" T12 (the "stock" bulb I have). If all goes well, I'll OD two GE Aquarium & Plant bulbs (T12's I think?). I should get between 35 and 40W. This will give me between 1.2 and 1.38WPG. Is this enough for my low/mid-light plants like Anacharis, Moneywort, Java Fern, and Anubias? What is this new figure considered? Low, Moderate, High, etc?

Thanks!

Your watt per gallon figures change with ODNO..
the 32 watt T-8 bulbs put out 80watts but put out 125watts as far as lumens are concerned.
The 20 watt bulbs are 17 watts according to the ballast so they will be drivin to 34 watts and about 53 watts lumens wise.. that shoud give you about 1.8 wpg.. this configuration your working on really hasnt been written about so these are my best guess without having to build one and test it..LOL I would assume you would get at least 1.5 wpg out of it!

What Im saying is you should get anywere from 1.5-1.8wpg by overdriving one bulb 4X.. if you want to do two you will definatly be needing CO2..

aquazen said:
Personal question here on lights.

I recently acquired a 15+ year old 36" striplight with a 30 gallon tank (neither have been used in that period of time). The striplight is as old as the tank. I've checked the integrity of the tank, and it seems alright. No leaks so far as I can tell. As for the striplight, the switch and everything still works. I will replace the old fluorescent bulb with a new one after I complete my move.

So in a round about way, I guess what I want to know is: Are the old ballasts safe to use? I wasn't into fish keeping till last year and I don't know much about old equipment. Will this be safe to use, or should I just go ahead and invest in a new striplight?

the old striplinght will be fine as long as the old ballast still works.. as long as I am understanding the question right..

How would one know if the ballast is still working properly? If it no longer works, the light will just stay off?

If it doesnt work or is going bad the light will not work properly.. if it doesnt work anymore the light will not come on and if it is going bad the light will flicker badly..

It's not flickering or anything of the such, so I guess all I need to do is pick up a new bulb. Thanks.

aquazen said:
It's not flickering or anything of the such, so I guess all I need to do is pick up a new bulb. Thanks.

You got it!
All this ballast talk could get someone confused..LOL :D
If the bulb starts flickering, with a good bulb, it will be time to replace the ballast.. Alot of people wait on this and burn out alot of bulbs on dieing ballasts by the way..

Back
Top Bottom