Lighting change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always used flourescent bulbs in my fishtanks but i was considering buying led lighting and mounting it above the tank instead of only a few inches above like a standard aquarium hood.

My problem is i have plants and dont know if the leds will provide the right light for them. Thoughts?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

Chlorophyll A/B absorb red and blue light (peaking around 460 and 640, if I recall). So if the light fixtures you're looking at cover those ranges well, as fixtures designed for plant growth are, you'll be good.

Look for PAR ratings, if that info is listed.

What's your budget? What lighting level are you trying to achieve.. leds can grow plants just fine;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421589157416.jpg
    1421589157416.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 1421589180154.jpg
    1421589180154.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 58
I have a college kid paycheck so i dont have a million dollars but i do have a little bit to spare. Id like something that i can see the tank well because i love staring at my fish, id like something that will help my plants grow, and be more energy efficient because my mom is harassing me about the light bill :p. Ideas on brands etc?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

How tall is the tank?

A current sat plus would give you low light and nice colors..

Mehh, won't grow much plants, can't reccomend that no..

The fluval plant led was half price last i was in petco if that's where you're going.. that would work for sure

Back
Top Bottom