Lighting/Etc. Q's for Planting a 10g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epicenter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am starting out with planted aquaria for the first time and am trying to add some plants to my 10-gallon freshwater tank. I selected a few small plants from my local store they had in with guppies. (Their names were listed in Japanese so I could not decipher them.) They were in little pots and bundles. I unwrapped them and buried them in the gravel in my tank (which appears to be artificial or at least not anything with nutrients in it. It's not really practical to switch the gravel for something else. I'd have to tear down the whole tank, probably.) The tank's hood has 2 25w Incandescent bulbs, which I've read aren't very good for plants. But just how bad are they? Can plants even grow with them?

I figure I do need to get flourescent lighting since one plant came up during a water change today from the suction of the container drawing the water out and it didn't seem like its roots had really developed outwards at all, as if being buried was all that held it. The plants really haven't grown a bit in a week and a half, but I'm unsure if they should grow noticably in that time. Some of the leaves appear tattered like they were chewed on, but maybe they've decayed. I'm unsure they are recieving sufficient nutrition. They don't really look wilted and are green, much like at the store, but a lot of leaves and miscellaneous plant debris are finding their way to the top of the tank, which gives me the impression something is amiss.

I am unable to locate flourecent bulbs for my hood, period. If I add flourescent lighting, I'd basically have to remove my hood and add flourescent tubes just resting on top, or a flourescent desk lamp .. I cannot use the original hood. This isn't that attractive as the lamp holder probably won't match the size of the tank. Is a powerful desk lamp positioned close to the water surface more advisable? How are the properties of Halogen lights for aquarium plants?

Should I also be looking into adding CO2 to the water? How about some sort of fertilizer for the gravel or water? I imagine the fish (6 guppies, 5 zebra danios, and 1 betta) have the nitrogen requirements covered.

UPDATE: I gave a few of the plants a light bit of a pull to see if they were rooted at all. Some came up with no resistance. One remained down and seems to be getting rooted in as far as I can tell. (I cannot see the roots yet through the glass.) It has leafy vegetation growing around where the plant stalks reach the gravel, which I would interpret as growth, it seems to be trying to anchor itself in. The shrimps have taken a liking to this plant and the region around it and seem to be quite fond of eating tiny bits of the leaves, which explains the bits missing, I suppose. This one I guess is in good shape? .. I wonder what's up with the rest, though.

Incadescent Light is nearly useless for plants. They are much better at producing heat than light. Your best bet would be to pick up some screw in Compact Flourescents to use in your current fixture. If you can't get them locally they can be purchased online.

If you can get some pics of your plants we can help you determine what they are and what their needs are.

How much you need to fertilize your tank will depend in large part on how much light you end up putting over the tank. If you stick to Medium light or less, then you'll just need a good trace fert and potassium, however if you decide to go with high light you'll need a full complement of ferts and CO2. Either way you could use some root tabs in the substrate if you wanted.

The shrimp are probably feeding on the parts of the plants that aren't healthy. Once you get them back in good shape they should leave them alone.

Well, like I said this hood doesn't seem to accept flourescent bulbs and shipping them to Japan may be a bit of a hassle (and costly). Is a powerful desk lamp OK? How many watts is advisable and how high should it be elevated from the water's surface? I'd prefer this over big tubes if it's OK, since once the tank's had 8-12 hours of light I can turn the lamp to light the room instead of just switching it off (odds are I will need the light at that point.)

Will take photos tonight.

If the desk lamp is using either flourescent or compact flourescent bulbs it could work well. Just make sure that the lamp is meant to light a work space instead of the entire room, as this will ensure that most of the light is actually getting into the tank. You can play with the height over the tank and see where the sweet spot is that gets the results you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom